Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Lightest Recoil Spring in a Production Gun

Tanders

I am constantly mocked for the absurdly light recoil springs that I run.  Last season, I had an 8 lb recoil spring in an SP-01 Shadow.  I finally swapped it out because the fact that I was getting two recoil impulses from the gun (one from the round discharging and one from the slide hitting the frame) was starting to make me nervous.  Problem went away with a fresh 9 lb spring.  So here's the question: what's the lightest recoil spring you have run in a Production gun?

In my 1911 9mm, which would be similar in weight to the SP-01, I'm running 10lb springs. Too light a spring, and the 2nd recoil impulse you described, has caused the top round in the mag to jar loose before the slide closed. This would cause double feeds, plus beats the frame needlessly. 

Edited by Postal Bob

I've heard a lot of people talk about frame battering.  Which part if the frame gets beat up?  On CZs it seems like most of the impact is on the slide stop, so they tend to break every 10k rounds or so, but they're cheap and easy to replace.

Edited by Tanders

2 hours ago, Tanders said:

I've heard a lot of people talk about frame battering.  Which part if the frame gets beat up?  On CZs it seems like most of the impact is on the slide stop, so they tend to break every 10k rounds or so, but they're cheap and easy to replace.

The slide impacts the frame at the recoil spring tunnel  the slide stop only stops the barrel.  

• 2 months later...

Dazhi,

What you said is correct.  The main concern on recoil spring weight is the back of the guide rod tunnel beating

the recoil spring guide rod head which beats the frame.  The second is what you described, to heavy recoil spring

and the second shot is low, too light a recoil spring and the second shot is high.  There are probably video's on Youtube

to help shooters choose the correct weight recoil spring for their pistol and power factor.  I shoot Glock 35's in 40sw Minor

and use a 12# Wolff Glock RS with a stainless steel one piece guide rod.  I normally replace the Recoil Spring every 3000

rounds.  I like the way the 12# spring feels with a power factor of around 137.