Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

new cz spo1 shooting high

chetc

I had the same problem with a brand new SP-01 Shadow.  The thing shot 8" high at 30 feet.  I think the barrel lockup is weird on some of them which causes them to shoot high.  The second one I bought shoots dead on with the factory sights.

If your buddy wants to go the adjustable rear sight route, he will probably have to replace the front as well since the adjustable rears are usually too tall to function with factory front sights.  Dawson Precision sells matched front and rear fixed sight sets that quite nice and pretty easy to install.  They also have a calculator on their site that allows you to determine the correct height front sight to adjust your POI (in case he wants to replace just the front).  Just be sure you get a sight that is cut for the CZ 75 or SP-01 and not any of Shadows since the rear sights for these models are not interchangeable (front sights are the same for both, however).

If you shoot enough, adjustable sights will eventually break. If you're not someone who changes bullet weights like underwear, it's not too hard to get things sighted in with a single front sight change.

Amen.  Adjustable rears are a pain.  I have also been unable to find a CZ adjustable rear that has a notch that is wide enough for practical shooting.
I broke 2 CZC adjustable rears on my Accushadows. Eventually went with a fixed rear. The factory adjustable on my Shadow 2s have been solid though.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

6 o'clock hold is a little dangerous just because you're never quite sure how far to hold below the target (although I suppose there is less of a chance of getting burned by it in Steel Challenge).  I also don't know if you could get the POI to drop by more than an inch or two by switching to lighter bullets.  However, if you know the exactly how high the gun is shooting at a given distance, the Dawson sight calculator will give you the correct height front sight for your gun.  I believe a new front sightsight is only $40.  Sight calculator linked below:

https://dawsonprecision.com/sight-calculator/