Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What color lens to make red fiber optic, pop ??

ysrracer

I know there are a few other threads about this, but they seem to devolve into glasses recommendations.

I've already got Randolph Ranger frames that I use to shoot shotguns with. In clays we use purple to make the orange clay "pop".

What color makes red fiber optic "pop".

The Racing Reds for Rudys are great, and if you're an Oakley guy like myself,  the prizm lenses work really well too. My current combo is the Prizm lenses with a green fiber. Super quick to pick up without being so bright its distracting for more precise shots. 

17 hours ago, anonymouscuban said:

I found yellow lenses made red FO pop the most. I where orange for my green FO. That's my personal experience, not a peer reviewed study so I could be wrong.

Sent from my SM-G930U using Tapatalk

Are you the same goofball on calguns? How can I block this guy?

:)

What are you doing here? This is a place for people that shoot guns [emoji4]
I could ask you the same question. Shouldn't you be somewhere NOT tipping workers or ranting about the importance of a trust?

Hahaha

Sent from my SM-G930U using Tapatalk

• 4 weeks later...

Have you thought about trying a different color fiber? Many men have color deficiencies in their vision and are better served looking for the right color fiber. I am red/green color blind. I might as well paint a red fiber with carbon black on the sunniest day. Bit with a green fiber and my Hunter's HD Gold glasses it becomes too bright some days. 

I ended up with Randolph Ranger vermilion, which is their version of pink/red.

It worked out best for me. I'm having Morgan Optical make me a pair of lenses with no correction in my left eye, and .75 in my right.

The frint sight  is crystal clear, and so is the target. They should be here tomorrow. I'll let you guys know how they work out.

I shoot with both eyes open, and look at the target, but see the red fiber optic.

I would agree that clear lenses would be best for indoor regardless of fiber color. However, racing red and green FO is a great combo outside on a sunny day. Cloudy day go back to a clear lens. 

• 3 weeks later...

I see a lot of people saying Oakley prisms. However there are many Oakley prism lenses. In most colors. 

I have found, being In Arizona, that the trail lens works really well for me. I also use the shooting lens they make (tr44 and 27 I think) for the tombstones and other models. My friend was a manager so I got to try diff ones for cheap and that’s my 2cents. 

But where you live and what you shoot in matters. If you are in greener areas( brush/tree) then the golf lens might be better, for instance.  

On 8/14/2019 at 10:10 PM, RawTime said:

I see a lot of people saying Oakley prisms. However there are many Oakley prism lenses. In most colors. 

I have found, being In Arizona, that the trail lens works really well for me. I also use the shooting lens they make (tr44 and 27 I think) for the tombstones and other models. My friend was a manager so I got to try diff ones for cheap and that’s my 2cents. 

But where you live and what you shoot in matters. If you are in greener areas( brush/tree) then the golf lens might be better, for instance.  

I was wondering which prizm lenses they're referring to as well. I have both the outfield and road but have been using the outfield the most. I also have jade polarized but they are super super dark. Haven't tried them on the range yet. I'm in AZ also. Btw I've been using green fo on my single stack gun. Seems to work well with my lenses. Not so overpowering that it's distracting but bright enough that it's hard to miss (seeing the green dot that is, not miss the target 😂). 

Edited by Az_Twister

On 8/16/2019 at 2:31 PM, Az_Twister said:

I was wondering which prizm lenses they're referring to as well. I have both the outfield and road but have been using the outfield the most. I also have jade polarized but they are super super dark. Haven't tried them on the range yet. I'm in AZ also. Btw I've been using green fo on my single stack gun. Seems to work well with my lenses. Not so overpowering that it's distracting but bright enough that it's hard to miss (seeing the green dot that is, not miss the target 😂). 

In Phoenix I would definitely go with trail or the shooting lens. 

• 1 month later...

Fresh piece of fiber always helps the situation. I like the Prism lense when shooting irons but especially when shooting a red dot. This makes the dot really "pop". It's probably a personal preference to most. Try a couple pair at the range when you see a fellow competitor using them. Now that you know which options to look for the best decision will be the one you like most! 

Good luck! 

On 7/28/2019 at 8:53 PM, UFO said:

Hunters HD Gold

X2

I also recently discovered that the rear dual green fibres on the rear sight were combining with the front red fibre to Christmas tree my gun.  In essence slowing down my shooting.  Well not really, I was just throwing hopers down range and hoping for the best.  I blacked out the rears and all is now good.  Not my idea but the trainer we were with.  He also discovered the front co-witness red fibre iron on my wife’s open gun were showing up as a 2nd “dot”.  Quick cut and not more wtf moments on her part.

the HD golds are great for our evenings at the range given the shorter daylight this time of the time year