Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!
Gviz

RF100 tips to tune it for Winchester small pistol primers

5 hours ago, MikeBurgess said:

the biggest thing I found in adjusting the RF100 is the little plastic tab that covers the hole where they drop into the tube. it can be adjusted front to back to make the opening the primers go into either wider or smaller. if it is too wide upside down primers will get past the last drop out point too quickly and will make it into the tube, too small an opening and the primers will either not fit or move too slowly and filling will take forever, its really a goldylocks adjustment when you get it in just the right spot it runs great 

I agree.

I adjusted mine because a friend had CCI and some were flipping.  Once I tweaked it they ran 100%.  HOWEVER, when I went back to my Winchester.... it's taking me forever to get it just so.  I think I have it now though.  Approx 500 and not a single flip.  

Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, RiggerJJ said:

Are you sure the RF is dropping upside down primers, as in, can you see it happening as they go into the top of the tube? If so, turn the reostat down until they don't flip. It's pretty easy to adjust...

If not, it's doing it job and your primers are flipping on the press. (Which is usually the case)

Once the primers are in the tube they cannot flip...just an fyi

I have rheostat setting at the lowest. My problem is once it gets over the hole it spins and spins then it’s a toss up if it went upside down or not.

but, if you guys have another way to lower the setting a little bit more (less vibration I’m pretty sure there might be a big possibility of solving this issue I’m having) I feel the vibration is too strong even on the lowest setting 

Edited by Gviz

I have rheostat setting at the lowest. My problem is once it gets over the hole it spins and spins then it’s a toss up if it went upside down or not.

but, if you guys have another way to lower the setting a little bit more (less vibration I’m pretty sure there might be a big possibility of solving this issue I’m having) I feel the vibration is too strong even on the lowest setting 
There is a screw under the hole where the primers drop into the tube that holds the blue plastic thing in place. This screw also needs to be adjusted and is also kinda goldilocks like too tight or loose and it doesnt work right.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Yes! The problem is that there is too much vibration. Even at the lowest setting. Put primers in it and run it. Push on the lower black spring thing (push in, towards the blue metal base stand) that the tube goes into while it’s running. You will see that the primers slow down. I used zip ties to snug it in little by little, till I was satisfied. Also adjust the stabilizer plate snug against a primer so that the primers barely go through. One primer will not go through the plate, but you get 2 or 3 pushing against it, and they go through. What I see is, the primer that’s just falling down the tube, gets pushed by the line of primers and tips it, while falling in the tube, thus flipping it. If you can get space between each primer after the stabilizer plate the better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mine started working 100% after I put it on the concrete floor and adjusted the Rheostat to be at the slowest speed that still allowed the primers to go into the tube.

High anvils in Winchester is likely to be the problem. Winchester primers seem to be inconsistent in anvil height, resulting in some primers dragging on the top lid of the primer feeder. I know this is the case with Vibraprime. The PAL feeder probably has a slightly higher lid, as well as a different feed chute shape, and primers do not drag on the lid. Have a look at clearing the anvil height in your problem fixes.

Posted (edited)

I reloaded 700 rounds and have 40 upside down primers using federal small pistol. Oh my gosh what is happening I need to slow this thing down. It performed better without the mouse pad and that was shocking since I always thought that the neoprene pad soften the vibrations. Weird?

Edited by Gviz

On 7/2/2019 at 9:14 AM, Shadyscott999 said:

I fixed my Winchester primer problem in the RF100 by switching to CCi

THIS^^^^^^^^CCI SPP is the only primers I use.  Those with the power adjustment on the lower side work 99.99 percent of the time.

So many failed hacks and diy tuning I finally called Dillon and ordered everything that I modified in some shape or form. Now I’m back to OEM stock configuration. This was the last chance I’ll be fooling around with this rf100 before I put it Back in the box.

1. i put this thing on a concrete floor made sure that it was leveled. Checked!

2. Turned the rheostat to the lowest setting. Checked!

3. Tuned the clear plastic so that no upside down primers made it pass this gate. Checked!

4. Tightened the screw on the blue tab underneath the dish and loosened it 1/8 at a time until the primers did not spin and just sank in smoothly. Checked!

5. Polished the blue tab with rubbing compound and dremel. Checked!

6. Used federal small pistol primers! Checked!

now I get 99/100 I think I can live with that.

Problem is I just ordered a vibra prime and tuned it hahaha it works 100% but the question is it’s more fiddling with the tray and tubes vs the rf100 just dump it and watch it go...

We should probably have a separate sub-forum just for the RF100.  I never had an issue with CCI, but had to switch to Winchester for one of my guns.  Got the WSP to work near perfect, but lost the "recipe" when I moved to Idaho.  My experience has been that there is always a combination of rheostat, plastic gate setting, small shim under back of unit, etc. that will get things near 100%:  certainly much better than 99%.

I'm currently using up some S&B primers.  Again, took some fiddling to get near 100%, but I've twice had the primers actually stick in the 1050 primer feed tube something that I hadn't seen in the prior 150K rounds with CCI and Win.  Must be something about tolerance and I certainly won't use these primers again.  In any even I'm running factory ammo in my primer sensitive EDC so I'm going back to CCI.

The RF-100 is undoubtedly the worst product Dillon has ever made!!!

I switched back to a flip tray...

It's a little slower, but not as much as you think...  and way less aggravating when you want to load ammo and end up fiddling around with a jamming, flipping RF-100...  My flip tray is always 100%

I do believe the RF100 is a worthwhile piece of gear, but I will never again buy S&B primers.  I suspect some subtle difference in the shape of the primer (radius at the lower edge?) causes problems in both the press and RF100.  Another month or so and I'll be through my supply and will return to CCI and WSP.  

Sure, there is some minor tweaking required when switching primers, but I have to tweak for S&B essentially every session based on temperature, sea level, phase of the moon, time of day...

Moved on to open division and now using CCI primers. Loaded 5000 rounds of 9 major automated. Then checked all ammo on a hondo case guage. Still have flipped primers but managed to get less than 30 rounds over 5000 rounds loaded.

im keeping the rf100 it seems its less work vs the vibra prime more fiddling and transferring it to 10 dillon tubes. 

Edited by Gviz

It's interesting, I run two - one LP one SP - all Winchester Primers, and once adjusted and set, I (knockonwood) never have any issues.  Both are on my workbench, I run the LP on a mousepad, the SP runs better without a mousepad for some reason, both are on the lower end of the rheostat scale, not all the way down but in the lower 1/3 or so.  Both just churn out primers w/o issue.  I think I saw one upside down primer in a recent run of 3k 9mm.  I just hit the button and forget about it, they cut off after 3 min or so and the tube is full.

That being said, plenty of folks have issues with them.  DAA has one coming out that uses a rotating drum deal vs vibratory that will be quite a bit cheaper - folks are waiting for that one to drop.

1 hour ago, 78Staff said:

That being said, plenty of folks have issues with them.  DAA has one coming out that uses a rotating drum deal vs vibratory that will be quite a bit cheaper - folks are waiting for that one to drop.

Cool...  First I've heard of that...  Keep us posted!

I can handle a flipped primer once in a while...  But...  Having to clear constant primer jams is a deal breaker.

I got sold on the idea of pressing  the button and look away. And for almost $400 for a kit that didn’t perform 100% and picked primers I was dissatisfied. I tried everything coz for that big of an investment it had to work. Hahaha! I’m still holding on to it since using CCI primers now and the amount of flipped primers is tolerable compared to wsp which was a nightmare for me.

So once the DDA primer system comes out and beats the consistency of the rf100 then I have no choice but to put it on sale. As of now this is the best option for me so I’m still keeping it around.