Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

RF100 tips to tune it for Winchester small pistol primers

I need help from all you guys. This thing is driving me nuts. I have tried numerous tuning tricks and still I get flipped primers and jamming. 

I tried tuning with the adjustments that Dillon posted on their website.

i tried the spring trick from a you tube video by socal prepper 

I tried the super glue and sand it down method for the stabilizer plate from another YouTube video 

im still getting a couple of primers flipped upside down and the occasional jamming I can’t leave the thing alone I have to babysit it all the time. 

Pls advise and thanks in advance to all 

Edited by Gviz

Do you have the version with the Rheostat? (The knob in the blue housing to  adjust the speed).

You can buy it from Dillon and it made mine work 100% with S&B primers, "only" loading 3000 rounds so far but no jams or flipped primers whatsoever.

Following....

I'm having the same issue recently.  I'm about to the point of trying to replace the small plastic piece where the primer drops down into the tube.  It's been 100% for years... now not so much.  I have to baby sit it like you.

I still get a few flipped primers, haven’t been able to get it 100%. I’ve tried mousepads, angling it all different directions, perfectly straight and plumb, tried all kinds of stuff. What’s worked best for me is, I wrapped a zip tie around the base of the unit around the black spring thing, and kept tightening the zip tie while it’s running to slow the primers down. It has a rheostat but it’s still too fast imo. Also adjust the stabilizer plate to where primers just barely go in. It usually takes a line of primers to push them through the plate, if there’s one or two primers only, they won’t go through. That also slows them down after the stabilizer plate, they have to work a little bit to get through, and it spaces them out a little. I’ve thought about getting a short extension cord and adding another rheostat to that, to slow them down a scoshe more. I feel that’s the problem. They just go too fast after the stabilizer plate, the line of primers pushes the primer that’s trying to go down the hole and it flips it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On 6/29/2019 at 2:25 PM, xrayfk05 said:

Do you have the version with the Rheostat? (The knob in the blue housing to  adjust the speed).

You can buy it from Dillon and it made mine work 100% with S&B primers, "only" loading 3000 rounds so far but no jams or flipped primers whatsoever.

Yes I have a rheostat 

Before the primer drops it spins like crazy on the hole and then I get the flipped primers. Or it spins then the line of primers jam it sideways and I have to take it all apart and go over... 

The RF100 can be a challenge.  I've probably run 100K primers through mine.  Prior to my switching to WSP I had run CCI small primers exclusively and had these working essentially 100%, perhaps 1 primer out of 1000 inverted.  I switch to the software WSP after some work on my HK  P2000 was experiencing light strikes.

The WSP are trickier to get working and I had a heck of a time after moving to Idaho, got them working and just a day ago went through the whole drill again.  Here's the main advice I can offer:

1. Setting aside the Youtube fixes (I tried those in the early days) you really only have two controls, the stabilizer plate and the rheostat.  The stabilizer plate adjustment is fairly critical in my experience;  It needs to have just enough opening to permit inverted primers to drop to the lower level.  If the opening is too great the inverted primers will drop, but the correctly-oriented primers will dip, slow down and cause of solid line of primers to develop.  You don't want this to happen.

2. You're trying to avoid this solid line of timers.  The vibrating action not only provides energy for the primer movement, but also allows the primers to quickly drop in the feed tube.  If there is a solid stack-up of primers the pressure of this line of primers can tip a primer entering the plastic chute and invert it.  In a perfect world you would like a primer to enter the plastic tip and not be in contact with another primer, but this isn't always the case, just try to avoid a big stack of primers on the ramp.

3. The rheostat adjustment also can create another "problem".  If the vibration is too energetic the 100 primers can very rapidly drop down en mass to the base.  This tends to produce the aforementioned stack of primers on the ramp.  I you look at the RF100 manual (I hadn't done so in 2 years) they show a nice 10x10 grid of primers on the plastic top just waiting to march toward the entry hole.  That's not the way I do it. I fire up the RF100, invert the primer sleeve and slide the primer tray out; my primers tend to quickly poor onto the metal plate below.  I think there is merit in a)not turning the unit on until the primers are on the plastic chute and b) spacing them out.

4. If you've ever had to take out the plastic tip make sure when you reinstall that it's still free to vibrate.

I just had this come up last evening after I had loaded 1000 rounds the night before:  same primers, no change to the setup, very solid loading bench, ...  The only explanation I have is the change in temperature from early am in my garage to late the next evening.  That's life with the RF100.  But when it works it's a joy.  I still have my Hornady red gun just in case.

I have no idea if this helps.  The device is both a blessing and a curse.

On 6/29/2019 at 9:44 PM, ultimase said:

As mentioned above do you have the rheostat? also dillon came out with a different plastic piece that limits the primers to single file just before dropping, which might make a difference as well. 

Hello,

What's this "different plastic piece"?  I poke around on their site a few minutes ago but can't seem to locate parts for the RF100.  I'd like to look at it and if it's different than mine, get one ordered.

Thanks!

14 hours ago, RichJacot said:

Hello,

What's this "different plastic piece"?  I poke around on their site a few minutes ago but can't seem to locate parts for the RF100.  I'd like to look at it and if it's different than mine, get one ordered.

Thanks!

I'd get a picture but everything is still packed right now. The plastic piece I'm talking about is the plastic piece immediately before the primers are dropped into the tube, it limits the primers into a single file line. 

19 hours ago, RichJacot said:

Hello,

Thanks!

Same problem as you. I can't find a way to order the plastic piece. I did find the part number finally.

One more thing to add to the answers here. Mine worked great with virtually no upside down primers but suddenly that changed. Luckily I happened to see that the plastic piece was warped. The entrance edge was sitting above the rim slightly. It failed to reject many upside down primers from entering. I took it off and clamped to a flat surface and heated (carefully) with a heat gun. It will melt be careful. It flattened and works again but I want a new one. Looks f**K*** impossible to order. I guess you have to call and get on wait.

I could not return to chicken pecking primers but Dillon doesn't seem to support this over priced piece of garbage very well. Anybody successfully found a way to order parts?

This is what I've done with WSP's . May or may not work for you.  First I don't use the top that you pour the primers through. It limits the vibration plus I can make adjustments on the go without it. I pour the primers out of the box into a Tupperware of some kind and then into the RF. I use the "A" plastic top piece which is suppose to have a little larger opening and is really for large primers. Adjust the opening so some of the primers are going through and some are falling out even if they are in the correct orientation. The goal as mentioned above is to have the primers come into the filler tube a little slower so not to get flipped. Play with the rheostat to find the sweet spot. It takes some tinkering but you'll figure out the combination.  CCI's run through like butter.

Certain primers just work or don't work as good as others. Federal LPP are a no go in my RF but Winchester LPP work great. 

Nature of the beast I guess.

Couple things I haven't seen mentioned to check, double check, and maybe just replace to ensure its right. Make sure the plastic drop down piece into the tube is for pistol primers and not rifle primers... Yea, first hand knowledge on this. it caused me a lot of jams and flipped primers.

Another thing is, if the primers are stacked up in a line like that, try slowing the rheostat down. I can get mine to work with WSC primers at roughly a 99.9% rate, but its slow. Which isn't a big deal, I work the press as they fill up. It takes mine about a minute and a half to almost two minutes to put 100 primers in one tube. But its consistent. So I'll take slower.

Also like someone said above, mine sits on a mouse pad, but to be fair, I think it would work fine off the mouse pad. When I was trying to run them fast, the mousepad helped, but now that its running slower, I dont think it did much. But since its working, I'm not touching it.

Like someone above said. When its working, its great!

6 hours ago, Shadyscott999 said:

I fixed my Winchester primer problem in the RF100 by switching to CCi

+1.  I no longer reload for my EDC (P2000 didn't like CCI primers) so I'm switching back to CCI as soon as I use up the 10K WSP I have on hand.  Don't have any CCI on hand, but as I recall the radius between the side and bottom of the WSP primers is greater than seen on the CCI.

Make sure it's very level - and I had good luck sitting mine on a piece of cardboard instead of directly on the bench. I tuned the plastic piece so its very tight letting primers in that final segment. I mostly use Winchester, and haven't had any more upside down primers - though I do still get them occasionally stuck at the plastic 'gate'. That's why I took the top off, so I can get in there and poke them free if I have to. And I felt it subjectively ran 'better' without the top as a side effect.  If I widen the the plastic gate, it cures the jams, but then I get some flipped ones. I use 90% Winchester small pistol primers. I think they just aren't consistently as round as CCI which is why they get stuck.

Oh, and I set the rheostat to just slightly above the lowest limit. As slow as I can that they still climb the ramp. I  have 4 of the tubes, so I just round robbin them, having the RF100 on a bench next to my loading bench. it's loading the next tube while I'm running the 650 from the previous tube.

Edited by OptimiStick

• 1 month later...

I give up federal small pistol still gets 2-3 per upside 

down primers per 100pcs

where can I buy a pal primer filler small ???

cant find any on sale... 

pls advice thanks in advance 

Edited by Gviz

1 hour ago, Gviz said:

I give up federal small pistol still gets 2-3 per upside 

down primers per 100pcs

where can I buy a pal primer filler small ???

cant find any on sale... 

pls advice thanks in advance 

Gviz,

Unfortunately, the PAL filler is no longer being manufactured - I've had mine for a few years and its been 100% with every type and size of primer I've used. 

Are you sure the RF is dropping upside down primers, as in, can you see it happening as they go into the top of the tube? If so, turn the reostat down until they don't flip. It's pretty easy to adjust...

If not, it's doing it job and your primers are flipping on the press. (Which is usually the case)

Once the primers are in the tube they cannot flip...just an fyi

the biggest thing I found in adjusting the RF100 is the little plastic tab that covers the hole where they drop into the tube. it can be adjusted front to back to make the opening the primers go into either wider or smaller. if it is too wide upside down primers will get past the last drop out point too quickly and will make it into the tube, too small an opening and the primers will either not fit or move too slowly and filling will take forever, its really a goldylocks adjustment when you get it in just the right spot it runs great