Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Rule Question - Can shooter bring centerfire pistol to firing line in case and then put into holster on Load and Make Ready command

Sigarmsp226

This happened at our monthly steel challenge match. Shooter bought a new CZ pistol and did not want to carry it in the holster to the line so he brought it to the line in a closed zip case (just like rimfire pistol) and on the load and make ready command he proceeded to remove it from the zipped bag, load, and holster....He did NOT have a chamber flag in the pistol so I had no way of knowing if there was a round in the chamber. There was NO mag in the pistol....

What say you forum RO’s - is this legal?  When I asked him why he was following this process he said he did not want to scratch his new pistol by caring it around in around in the holster. I asked if the holster was made for the pistol and he said yes.  I understand the desire to keep our new weapons in pristine condition but ifnhe is going to shoot this pistol in competition it is gonna get some scratches....Thanks Mark 

How is that different than unbagging a rimfire pistol? If he puts a mag in, racks the slide and a live round ejects, you know it was already loaded. If someone wanted to shoot two divisions with the same gun model, one with irons and and the other with a red dot, they'd have to do what this guy is doing.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

This is absolutely permitted. I do it all the time. As a match official I'm usually running around like a chicken with my head cut off so I always bag my center fire pistol. The only possible problem is if you open the case and the muzzle is pointed in the wrong direction. For that reason I always put the pistol in the case the exact same way. 

3 minutes ago, obsessiveshooter said:

How is that different than unbagging a rimfire pistol? If he puts a mag in, racks the slide and a live round ejects, you know it was already loaded. If someone wanted to shoot two divisions with the same gun model, one with irons and and the other with a red dot, they'd have to do what this guy is doing.

Or would the shooter be required to go to the safe area after shooting the first pistol, remove it from his holster, bag it, and place his second pistol into the holster on his self.....He was not shooting two different pistols in this match, only one...and he said he was doing this so his pistol would not get scratched....Mark

2 minutes ago, ZackJones said:

This is absolutely permitted. I do it all the time. As a match official I'm usually running around like a chicken with my head cut off so I always bag my center fire pistol. The only possible problem is if you open the case and the muzzle is pointed in the wrong direction. For that reason I always put the pistol in the case the exact same way. 

Thanks Zack  - I appreciate your post and feedback...Being a Match Director and Senior RO I knew you would be able to provide direction...Thanks Again Sir...Mark

1 minute ago, obsessiveshooter said:

After shooting #1, they'd bag it after unload and show clear, just like rimfire. It's all the same as rimfire, except they holster when they have made ready.

Good point. Did not think of it that way when I read your first post. Thanks for your follow up....Mark

I do it all the time as well. Hate to get paint all over my gun between shooters. (Overspray on holster and moon clip holders is bad enough.)

Steel Target paint is great but it comes out like a fire hose!

I don't believe rimfire pistols need to be flagged in the bag, do they?

At our matches we ask/require that all centerfire guns arrive at the shooters box in a holster. If you would like to bag it when you exit the box, you can do so at the safe table.

We do this to keep things moving along and no one objects. Our safe tables are about 25' from the shooters box on each range so its not and issue.

Like stated above, perfectly fine, and even preferable. Many matches let you shoot more than one gun and I absolutely wont shoot outer limits with a rifle while I have a pistol in the holster. Leaves too much to chance. Throw it in a case and move on. It takes ten seconds longer to do that than to just holster it.