Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Need help with a gun dilemma.

Ken81590

So I currently do 3 Gun, obviously using a 9mm pistol. I've been looking into getting into USPSA, and using a .40 for limited seems to be the way to go. Through my FFL Glock Rewards program, I'm getting a free gun, so I was thinking of getting a Glock 35 for USPSA Limited, and buying a 9mm barrel for it, so I can also use it for 3 Gun. But after a little researching, people seem to be suggesting saving up and buying an STI in .40 for USPSA, but then I wouldn't want to use the .40 for 3 Gun. What would you guys recommend I do?

Mind you, I don't plan on being extremely competitive in USPSA, more for just fun. So I was kind of thinking of just eventually going with a 9mm STI for both 3 gun and USPSA. Thoughts?

Edited by Ken81590

8 minutes ago, dapribek said:

Are you using a 9mm  for 3 gun because of capacity?

Not necessarily, it's just what I've always used. Never really thought of using .40 for 3 gun since MPF advantage is only given in USPSA. 

Edited by Ken81590

I believe so. If you reload, you can come up with a soft shooting load for 3 gun and a major load for USPSA. I did just that for local Action Pistol matches. My STI ran great with 135 minor loads and also with 170 major loads with no change of recoil springs. So my advice would be to save for a .40 STI and just use a different load for each sport. 

1 minute ago, dapribek said:

I believe so. If you reload, you can come up with a soft shooting load for 3 gun and a major load for USPSA. I did just that for local Action Pistol matches. My STI ran great with 135 minor loads and also with 170 major loads with no change of recoil springs. So my advice would be to save for a .40 STI and just use a different load for each sport. 

That seems to be the general consensus in USPSA [reloading ammo], but I never have, and never thought about it until now. For 3 gun I always just bought some cases of 9mm and went with it lol. 

What do you currently for 3 gun?  Is there any reason to not continue using it?

Personally I would probably go the glock 35 route for USPSA limited .  You can buy a glock 35 , trigger parts mags, etc and a dillon sbd for less than a 2011.  I know you said you not looking to be real competitive, but even still, i would %100 take a plastic major gun over any minor gun in limited.  Minor limited sucks.  The other option is buy a 2011 in 40 for USPSA and use your current gun in 3 gun

If you're just looking into it and you're doing it just for fun, why buy anything yet? Shoot what you have for a while til you see how serious you want  to get into it.

Currently using a CGW SP-01. Sometimes I use a 17L. I guess I could get the G35 built for USPSA limited, and just continue using my current setup for 3 Gun. My thinking was, if I could get my hands on an STI for a decent price, why not use it for both, but since .40 is the way to go for USPSA, and 9mm for 3 Gun, it wouldn't make sense to spend all that money on a gun setup for only one sport or the other. 

1 minute ago, egd5 said:

If you're just looking into it and you're doing it just for fun, why buy anything yet? Shoot what you have for a while til you see how serious you want  to get into it.

I'm getting a free gun through glock rewards program, so I was thinking of going with a 35, and building it for USPSA, and then drop a 9mm barrel in it for 3 Gun. Since the gun is free, and a barrel is less than $200, it seems reasonable. 

Oh yeah, I forgot that was in your op. I'm old!  But is there a time limit on when you have to use it?

Or sell it and buy a good gun--anything besides Glock. 👹😁

Take the CZ you already own and just shoot Limited Minor or Production a few times and see what direction you want to go before going off & buying a STI .40.  Maybe you find you like Production & the STI .40 wouldn't be of use to you.  If you find you like Limited and you actually become competitive in Limited then you'll likely want & need that Glock 35 or STI .40. 

Shoot that CZ in a few matches first and then you'll have your own answers to these questions.

Just now, RJH said:

You could always shoot your sp01 in production, 9 is the way to go there

It has a CGW Pro-Package trigger, I thought since the the actual trigger and hammer aren't "factory", I can't use it for production?

Just now, Ken81590 said:

It has a CGW Pro-Package trigger, I thought since the the actual trigger and hammer aren't "factory", I can't use it for production?

Yeah you can.....now.

1 minute ago, BJB said:

Take the CZ you already own and just shoot Limited Minor or Production a few times and see what direction you want to go before going off & buying a STI .40.  Maybe you find you like Production & the STI .40 wouldn't be of use to you.  If you find you like Limited and you actually become competitive in Limited then you'll likely want & need that Glock 35 or STI .40. 

Shoot that CZ in a few matches first and then you'll have your own answers to these questions.

Thanks!

as relatively inexpensive as glocks are, not a big fan of switching calibers around, easy to get it wrong, bring the wrong combo to a match, etc.

at your next couple of 3 gun and uspsa matches, ask your squadmates to try out some of their various handguns.  personally i love the sti 2011 guns and that's the way i went (9mm for 3 gun/steel/2 gun/etc) and .40 for uspsa (well, and also 38 super).  my glocks haven't much use since i got my sti's.

since you have a free glock coming, get a 35 (.40) and give it a try in in uspsa limited.  if you don't love it, relegate it to your truck or bedside HD and grab a STI.

9 minutes ago, davsco said:

as relatively inexpensive as glocks are, not a big fan of switching calibers around, easy to get it wrong, bring the wrong combo to a match, etc.

at your next couple of 3 gun and uspsa matches, ask your squadmates to try out some of their various handguns.  personally i love the sti 2011 guns and that's the way i went (9mm for 3 gun/steel/2 gun/etc) and .40 for uspsa (well, and also 38 super).  my glocks haven't much use since i got my sti's.

since you have a free glock coming, get a 35 (.40) and give it a try in in uspsa limited.  if you don't love it, relegate it to your truck or bedside HD and grab a STI.

That was kinda the thought for the STI, but I didn't want to shell out all that money for 2 different caliber STI's. It's just a shame that one caliber is better than the other for certain sports. I would love to just get a 9mm STI and use it for both, but from what I have been reading, using 9mm in USPSA Limited is a fools errand. 

Set the glock 35 up for limited  may not be legal for your other game.
Your looking for a jack of all trades,, however that usually comes with the caveat of master of none. You also mentioned  you dont reload... STI's tend to not be 100% on factory length 40, so really to do Limited you need to reload or plan ahead and order long loaded ammo. 
Different games gonna have different rule sets and conditions not likely to find a single setup perfect for all.
Not reloaded,,, buying cheap ammo, free Glock coming... want to shoot different games.. Assuming your 17L isnt holding you back in 3 gun,,, and also assuming 10 round limits kinda suck,, I say get a Glock 9mm carry optic gun. Set that up for USPSA carry optics.. alot of your gear will cross over. 

3 hours ago, Ken81590 said:

That was kinda the thought for the STI, but I didn't want to shell out all that money for 2 different caliber STI's. It's just a shame that one caliber is better than the other for certain sports. I would love to just get a 9mm STI and use it for both, but from what I have been reading, using 9mm in USPSA Limited is a fools errand. 

if uspsa is just going to be fun, get a 9mm 2011.  excellent for 3 gun and perfect for anything without a power factor (steel challenge, falling steel matches, idpa [need bushing barrel not bull barrel]).  as most of us have, you'll get another (and another...) not too far down the road...

as mentioned above, you can get a glock MOS or get the slide milled for a red dot.  carry optics is fun and super cheap (cheap [free for you] glock, cheap glock mags, cheap 9mm ammo, glocks work).  could shoot open with it in 3 gun (lets you use bipod and load up your shottie).

6 hours ago, egd5 said:

If you're looking into it and doing it just for fun, why buy anything yet? Shoot what you have for a while til you see how serious you want  to get into it.

Especially if you're on a tight budget, and don't want to reload .40.

Stick with the factory 9mm (real cheap now), and go Have Fun.    :) 

16 hours ago, Ken81590 said:

Reading rulebooks has its advantages.  One of them is that it replaces "I think" with "I know".