Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Making MPX mags drop free tips

I have a Gen 2 MPX.  Love everything about it except the fact that most of my mags will not drop freely when released.  The big stick mags seem to have enough weight to drop with no problem but the 20 rounders do not.  I would really only use these smaller mags for a classifier type situation but that is exactly when a clean reload is necessary.  It seems like the more they get used the closer they come to wanting to drop...but still don't.  I searched the forum quite a bit but did not find the answer i was looking for so I am posting it to you guys now.  Are there any tips or tricks for making these drop free?  

3 minutes ago, egd5 said:

If the big ones drop why not just use it for your first mag then whatever to reload with? Am I missing something?

Ha ha.  No you are not missing anything.  I hate to bounce those big ones off the ground if I don't have to.  I was just hoping somebody had a trick or mod that was easy to make them all work.  Guess i am kind of a stickler for things working like they should.

Hello: Get an Oden Works magazine release. Also load the 20 round mags up with 20 rounds. They will drop free then unless you are using a magwell that is stopping them from dropping freely. You could also use a TTI base pad on the 20 round magazine as well. Thanks, Eric

So I spent some time working on this last night.  Separated the upper from lower...mags still hung up.  Seemed like the mag was getting pinched a bit in the lower.  That is when it hit me.  I bought this gun slightly used from a buddy and he installed a TTI mag well.  Loosened up the mag well and mags dropped free.  Problem located.  Ended up having to trim the rubber anti-vibration strips inside the magwell for it to tighten down correctly without pinching the lower.  Mags drop free AND load much better now!!  Thanks to everyone for the suggestions.

On 6/28/2019 at 9:45 AM, jlo86cj said:

Try taking some load off the release spring. I believe mine is two turns out. I have never had a problem with the 20 rounders dropping.

This didn't fix my problem but the button is much nicer to push now.  Thanks!!

My mags drop freely out of the gun with the TTI magwell - unless I have a heavy big stick and pointing the gun upwards. If the gun is flat everything drops freely. Even and unloaded 20 rounders

And don't drop them big sticks with extended base pads. You will eventually snap the plastic mag off where the extension attaches