Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Want to convert a bushing barrel 38 super STI 2011 top 9mm what do I need?

fieryotaku

I bought a 38 super 2011 and would like a barrel to swap it over to 9mm for when I am at the range.  In the store in the image it has 2 options Wilson/Nowlin or Para/Clark ramp which do I need?  Is there anything else I will need?

bushing.JPG

14 minutes ago, dansedgli said:

What ramp does your gun have now? 

I dont know yet its supposed to arrive Saturday and I thought I could maybe order parts ahead of time I thought the ramp type may be frame specific.

2 minutes ago, dansedgli said:

Extractor might be ok. It just depends on how it is. 

My 38 super runs 9mm and 38 supercomp fine. 

Some people were saying you could shoot 9mm out of a 38 super without changing anything and only get less accuracy is there any truth to this?

9 hours ago, fieryotaku said:

Some people were saying you could shoot 9mm out of a 38 super without changing anything and only get less accuracy is there any truth to this?

yes it can work, probably worth trying, I have had guns where it worked fine and others where it did not.

I'm guessing you haven't done this a lot/ever.  1911/2011 barrels aren't drop in fit, certainly not the good ones anyway.  If you have never fit a 1911 barrel, you really need some help.  This is not going to be a quick process.  The extractor/ejector should be OK, but you'll need a link, link pin, bushing, and a few hours to fit it properly.  Wait till you get the gun in hand.  Try it with 9mm and see if it works.  If you'd like I can help you out with getting it set up.  

1 hour ago, Chuck Anderson said:

I'm guessing you haven't done this a lot/ever.  1911/2011 barrels aren't drop in fit, certainly not the good ones anyway.  If you have never fit a 1911 barrel, you really need some help.  This is not going to be a quick process.  The extractor/ejector should be OK, but you'll need a link, link pin, bushing, and a few hours to fit it properly.  Wait till you get the gun in hand.  Try it with 9mm and see if it works.  If you'd like I can help you out with getting it set up.  

Thank you! I'll wait til it comes in and see then. I actually work at a company that gunsmiths, cerakotes and laser ports guns so I might just have our in house gunsmith do it if not I might take you up on your off to help!