Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

recommendation for 9mm BCG

I know I'll take some heat for this but building a budget PCC is folly if you intend to use it in competition.  I've seen way too many not deliver the performance and reliability needed for a match.   If the PCC is for causal fun that is another story.   

I subscribe to the "buy once, cry once" approach and as such the barrel, bolt and buffer systems in my PCC's are all JP with triggers being Hyperfire or POF.  There are certainly other high quality options out there but the key is quality, proven components if you are wanting serious results.

Edited by LtdShooter

I think the biggest difference in 9mm bolts is if they use a pistol style extractor or an AR .223 extractor. I have a Spinta blemished bolt that uses the pistol extractor. It was like $79, and has been flawless. I just got a Foxtrot Mike bolt with an AR extractor. Only a handful of rounds, but the finish looks nice. 

Edited by OPENB

Hello: The two that I use are a KAW Valley and a JP. Both have been 100% over many 1000's of rounds. I have broken two firing pins on the JP but none have broken yet on the KAW Valley. Carry spares of those is a great plan. I also have been using a KAW Valley barrels since they are light weight. I do modify the barrel feed ramp so they feed 100%. The biggest thing not to cheap out on is the lower. I only use QC-10 lowers for Colt or Glock magazines. They just work well for me and are a little cheaper than a JP. Hiperfire triggers or modified AR15 triggers with JP springs. They rest of the stuff is what you like best. Buffer setups vary and I use a couple of different types now. I am still trying to figure out what works best for me and whether I like the shorter stroke or not. Thanks, Eric

Taccom. Ar extractor, works with ramped barrels, and nib coating were the main things I was looking for. The "gas" key is pretty trick too, and overall it's just a well designed bolt.

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk

I ran a Kaw Valley gen 2 BCG in my Colt pattern AR-9.  Only issue I ever experienced was a broken firing pin which was caused by the Hiperfire trigger I was using at the time.

Should also note that I never experienced a failure related to the bolt.  Discovered the broken firing pin during routine cleaning.  It had been ~500 rounds since the last cleaning, so no idea how many it fired wihle broken.

I have several different bolts and the only one, yes the only one, that has not had a single failure to feed, cycle, or eject has been the taccom. Tim has massaged and tuned his bolts in all the right places.

Mine is not the one with the fancy nickel coating, because I’m a poor, but they are mechanically identical.

Aside from that, Tell your neighbor not to cheap out on the parts that count (lower, trigger, bolt/buffer, mags) but to go full-poor on all the other stuff and it will still likely run (upper, handguard, barrel, buffer tube, shoulder stock, sights, lasers, bayonets, gizmos and do-hickeys)

Can’t believe it hasn’t been mentioned yet: the Foxtrot Mike/FM Products FM-9 BCG absolutely slays!

Has an S7 tool steel extractor and other semi “Gucci” design traits that you normally won’t find on some at 2x+ the money... (and FWIW also plays perfectly with Hiperfire 24-series triggers, which someone mentioned earlier and I totally co-sign, due to their awesomeness in pull weight/feel w/ a harder hammer/primer strike too, sets off everything).

Actually can’t say enough good things about the FM Products stuff I’ve tried thus far... their lower and patented LRBHO is probably the best design out there currently imho...

Good read if you’ve got a minute, the owner talks about some of his impressive affiliations w/ Wilson Combat and PWS:

https://www.arbuildjunkie.com/fm-products-fm-9-ppc-overview-with-paul-noonan/

Don't agree with that. I have been shooting a budget PCC competitively for 3 years and it's been totally reliable. KAW Valley upper parts and a NFA lower. The POF trigger is good advice, works well for me for a relatively cheap drop in.

On 6/27/2019 at 4:14 PM, LtdShooter said:

I know I'll take some heat for this but building a budget PCC is folly if you intend to use it in competition.  I've seen way too many not deliver the performance and reliability needed for a match.   If the PCC is for causal fun that is another story.   

I subscribe to the "buy once, cry once" approach and as such the barrel, bolt and buffer systems in my PCC's are all JP with triggers being Hyperfire or POF.  There are certainly other high quality options out there but the key is quality, proven components if you are wanting serious results.

Edited by xdcr

I have two from Pickett's Mill Armory.....their Hybrid model...and they have worked with every different trigger (Milspec, POF, RISE, Hyperfire, Geissele) and barrel/upper that I've run with them.  Some BCG's I've found to have a breech/ejector that's rather tight and can contribute to failure's to feed.  The PMA one has a breech that the rim slips pretty easily into.  Again, very reliable with a lot of different combinations.