Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Dry fire?

Rpope423

dont claim to be a victim, I just know if I work a match, I am not going to do as well. Kinda guy I am. I know these things dont just happen, someone has to make them happen. I kinda enjoy it. Why I built stages and got my RO credentials.  But honestly  I take offense to the arrogant blanket statements about match officials shooting skills. 
Far as the original topic,,, dont have to be a big fight,, I mean you can just correct them and pull out the rule book, which you should be familiar with and point out the mistake. If they escalate,  you kinda have to decide where to take it. Just all depends.

6 hours ago, Joe4d said:

Maybe try running or working a few matches before bad mouthing staff with a blanket statement like that. Without said staff you wouldnt have a match..
Yep nothing like working all day building stages, and tweaking stuff then rushing through the "staff" shoot before it gets dark to contribute to a great finish.
That or running a squad all day, while all the other shooters smoke and joke in the shade, then getting up to shoot... Repeat....

Mmmmmm...no I’d rather not. Like rowdy said no one forced him to work it. And actually I can vouche that he wasn’t there all week to help he showed up Friday to staff shoot and worked Saturday. So no. No excuse for his stupidity.

1 hour ago, Joe4d said:

dont claim to be a victim, I just know if I work a match, I am not going to do as well. Kinda guy I am. I know these things dont just happen, someone has to make them happen. I kinda enjoy it. Why I built stages and got my RO credentials.  But honestly  I take offense to the arrogant blanket statements about match officials shooting skills. 
Far as the original topic,,, dont have to be a big fight,, I mean you can just correct them and pull out the rule book, which you should be familiar with and point out the mistake. If they escalate,  you kinda have to decide where to take it. Just all depends.

So what’s my excuse if I work 60 hours Monday through Friday before a major match? 

There is is no excuse for shooting skills you shoot as good as your practice.

The more-polite way to call BS is something like "Really?  Did they change the rule?  I'm pretty sure it said I could dry-fire last I looked"

If the RO is still in "because I said so!" mode, go talk to the MD and say "Hey, is it allowed to dry fire in the safe area?  I thought it was ok in the rules, but somebody said no".

you’d honestly just have to meet the guy.. no matter how you approached the situation it was a losing battle, just wasn’t needed or worth it at 730 in the morning. 

I believe it karma. It’ll get em

On 6/28/2019 at 3:38 PM, Rpope423 said:

It was just hard for me to pick a fight at 730AM and completely throw me off track for the day. I left it alone to deal with later. I was just happy to win ESP/SS at the end of the day, but I know now to be a little less lenient with SO/RO

For sure, the problem is once the issue is forced on you it can degrade your focus without you even realizing it.

It takes conscious work to keep that from happening.  One reason why I like to RO at local matches.  I use it as training for the mental issues one finds at the larger matches.

Clearly the fine gentleman was doing his best to keep you from getting killed in da streetz.  You can't dry fire before a gunfight 'cause you never know when you're going to be in one!  That's why I duct tape a loofah to my Glock and take it into the shower with me.  The forces of evil won't be catching me unprepared!

Edited by Tanders

26 minutes ago, Tanders said:

Clearly the fine gentleman was doing his best to keep you from getting killed in da streetz.  You can't dry fire before a gunfight 'cause you never know when you're going to be in one!  That's why I duct tape a loofah to my Glock and take it into the shower with me.  The forces of evil won't be catching me unprepared!

Winning.jpg

On 7/3/2019 at 1:24 PM, Tanders said:

If they ever give a reward for post with the most thought put into it, that would be it.

• 4 weeks later...
On 6/28/2019 at 8:08 PM, rowdyb said:

Dry fire at home before you leave for the match. In other competitive things I've done wonderful advice I've been given was "NEVER leave it to the officials."

As far as pick your battles, at times I've just said quietly "yeah whatever" and gave in. Other times I've said very sternly "NO" and refused to leave the stage until the item was redressed. There spectrum of jerk to a hole to maniac is pretty long, lot's of places both sides can occupy on it at any given time.

ps-most, definitely not all, but most match officiants are not in the top 10 of a match if ya know what i mean.

Additionally, getting into an argument on a minor point before the match will throw many shooters out of a proper mindset, even if right. Plus many of us are hacks just to have a good time, and this might immediately ruin that, at least for a portion of the day.