Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Variable rate springs

nhyrum

I've done a bit if reading on variable springs, and the majority of the feedback is there totally counter productive. But that is coming more from traditional 1911 users. Wolff's website is at least a reasonable salesman, making it sound like it could be a better option for compensated pistols. I'm a little wary of the easier unlocking. Does anyone here run one? I just bought an ismi 12.5 spring, I hear they're good springs.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

There's lots of voodoo out there. Likely that the variables are not a terrible idea, but maybe not all that helpful either. Nothing wrong with trying and seeing if they work for you though. If it feels good to you and the gun runs well, go with it. If not, ... 

Edited by wgj3

They are used by Matt Cheely in his Open builds so I use them. 8# variable Wolff. If you search around Bob over at Brazos did an article on them. Definitely not counter productive in Open guns. Not sure about other guns.

I like the Wolff Variables and have used them almost exclusively for 10 + years.

On the clock shooting Alpha's (so I'm not just squirting bullets as fast as I can pull the trigger) my splits are generally lower with the same poundage variable spring.

Never had any problems with gun lock up unless the spring is worn out.

I use the old rule of having the brass land 6-8 feet away. 

Except in my open gun cause I use long ejectors so it throws the brass a little further!

Generally with the open gun I can tell if the gun is dipping based on the dot return.  If it looks to be dipping I'll go to the next lower spring weight 

I think I'll pick up a 12 ish lb variable. I could maybe go stiffer. I have a 14lb and have to run my load a little hotter to get decent ejection. But I'm running a 9x25, and have a rather large comp. I think I'm at about 195pf.

• 2 months later...

What everyone has said here is good info.  Yes, the Variable Rate RS are better for Open Guns than for Limited.

You should not have to run that heavy of a RS in an Open gun.  If you are having ejection problems, give your

gunsmith a call and run it past him/her.  Most Open shooters I have shot with use around an 8# RS, some use

Variable Rate and some use a Standard Spring........

What everyone has said here is good info.  Yes, the Variable Rate RS are better for Open Guns than for Limited.
You should not have to run that heavy of a RS in an Open gun.  If you are having ejection problems, give your
gunsmith a call and run it past him/her.  Most Open shooters I have shot with use around an 8# RS, some use
Variable Rate and some use a Standard Spring........
For 38, sure. 9x25 is a different beast. The Smith, and the guy at Dillon that developed the cartridge recommended starting with 13#.

As for orientation, I don't think it matters, the lighter wound coils will collapse first, no matter what

The idea is it opens up softer and closes softer , so I believe orientation matters!

And

the smalerl wound end it supposed to be to the back on your Guide rod so it is kind of gripping the rod in the rear near the recoil mortise.

FWIW

The idea is it opens up softer and closes softer , so I believe orientation matters!
And
the smalerl wound end it supposed to be to the back on your Guide rod so it is kind of gripping the rod in the rear near the recoil mortise.
FWIW
But no matter which way it's facing, the softer end will collapse first. At least the way my brain works it should

21 hours ago, jcc7x7 said:

And

FWIW

Springs push the same amount of force on both ends; that part doesn't matter. 

Shape of the spring ends, and sometimes unsprung weight (not in a gun, but in a car suspension etc) are the determining factors of which end goes where. 

• 4 weeks later...
5 hours ago, Superkaratemonkeyfighter said:

Anybody know the size dimensions compared to a cz75 recoil spring ?

I would like to try one but they only have them for 1911/2011. 

Looking for mostly the OD,ID I guess. 

length could be trimmed if it’s longer. 

CZ has a smaller ID /OD not sure how much but my 1911 and 2011 are much bigger 

On 9/27/2019 at 11:45 PM, Yondering said:

Springs push the same amount of force on both ends; that part doesn't matter. 

Shape of the spring ends, and sometimes unsprung weight (not in a gun, but in a car suspension etc) are the determining factors of which end goes where. 

👍😉

all my variable springs have closed end on both sides for cz tso and  on  my  2021 😀 limited .