Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Coated projectiles in open...38sc

Loudgp

Ive been told years past that a coated lead round was a no no.... but recently seen a top shooter shooting blues in a 38sc open gun with no issues... whats the verdict and whos also shooting them, what powder and charge and what company.. thanks...

Edited by Loudgp

Ive been told years past that a coated lead round was a no no.... but recently seen a top shooter shooting blues in a 38sc open gun with no issues... whats the verdict and whos also shooting them, what powder and charge and what company.. thanks...
using Ibejiheads 124 in my open gun. run great. times have changed lol

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

5 minutes ago, Rnlinebacker said:

using Ibejiheads 124 in my open gun. run great. times have changed lol

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

whats your load like? powder and does it build up alot in the comp or as long as you clean them after a match its good?

I’ve shot blue bullets for years thru my supers and never had a problem started with their 125’s and later their 115 

they never leaded up the barrel, there was a slight build up in the comp but I trick I learned here was to put a few drops of kroil in each chamber after every shooting session and let it sit.  It will soften and get under the crud, and the next time you shoot it, the crud gets blasted out

Get em sized .356 125 tc great accuracy. 9.15 aa7 in 9 major. 10.2 38 sc.      was loading jhp 115 at 10.5 so got to be easy on the gun. I got glass beed blaster hit it 3 seconds all cleaned up Comp. 

running 125 Blue bullets in my wife's Tanfo with no comp build up to speak of.

Keep in mind that all coatings are not created equal I tried some Hi-tek coated bullets and they smoked horribly and the lead build up in the comp was impressive.

On 6/26/2019 at 1:34 PM, MikeBurgess said:

running 125 Blue bullets in my wife's Tanfo with no comp build up to speak of.

Keep in mind that all coatings are not created equal I tried some Hi-tek coated bullets and they smoked horribly and the lead build up in the comp was impressive.

That's been my experience as well - Hi-Tek coated bullets tended to build up a lot of lead in the comp, but good powder coated bullets build up very little if any unless there's something wrong with the load. Using a large enough bullet size and proper loading practices for lead bullets is important too though; you can make any coated bullet lead up a comp if you load it wrong. 

My buddy shot Blue Bullets for a while and got crudded.  Then he tried HiTeck.  Now he only shoots JHPs.  I only shoot JHPs and 4000 rounds later I can still see the machining marks in the bottom of the comp ports.

I shoot a lot of Hy Tek Bayou's in mine, 125 RN

No concerns with build up.

Blue Bullets work great also, just like the Bayou's better

Kroil the comp every 2K let it sit and shot it next time stuff blows out, I put a cover on my optic the first couple of shots so the optic doesn't get Kroil all over it!

I get more stuff in my comp from the open lead bases of FMJ than the Hy-Tek

On ‎6‎/‎26‎/‎2019 at 1:31 PM, rishii said:

I’ve shot blue bullets for years thru my supers and never had a problem started with their 125’s and later their 115 

they never leaded up the barrel, there was a slight build up in the comp but I trick I learned here was to put a few drops of kroil in each chamber after every shooting session and let it sit.  It will soften and get under the crud, and the next time you shoot it, the crud gets blasted out

Awesome.

Gotta love that Kroil.

Stuff works wonders for many situations.