Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Most accurate 9mm FMJ?

FF1063

Shooting a 9mm 1911. After a lot of experimenting, I'm getting great groups at 25 and 50 yards with 124 XTPs and 115 Win JHP's.

I would like to put together some 124/125 grain FMJ or TMJ loads with 50 yard accuracy in mind.

Anyone come across a 124/125 FMJ or TMJ that has been exceptionally accurate?

In 357, the Speer 125 TMJ has been very good, anyone try the 9mm Speer 125 TMJ?

I see Lapua makes a 123 grain FMJ, but dang, 22¢ apiece?

Hornady?

I know, every gun is different, but there's bound to be trends in accuracy, like the XTP is always a good bet.

Any good bets for a FMJ???

Shooting a 9mm 1911. After a lot of experimenting, I'm getting great groups at 25 and 50 yards with 124 XTPs and 115 Win JHP's.

I would like to put together some 124/125 grain FMJ or TMJ loads with 50 yard accuracy in mind.

Anyone come across a 124/125 FMJ or TMJ that has been exceptionally accurate?

In 357, the Speer 125 TMJ has been very good, anyone try the 9mm Speer 125 TMJ?

I see Lapua makes a 123 grain FMJ, but dang, 22¢ apiece?

Hornady?

I know, every gun is different, but there's bound to be trends in accuracy, like the XTP is always a good bet.

Any good bets for a FMJ???
Precision Delta is great. Montana Gold is most reputed but expensive.

Are you open coated bullets??

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

You might try PD 124 JHPs.  

Phillip Hemphill (who holds a ton of PPC National Championships & World records) was doing some testing this week and held just over an inch group at 50 yards with Precision Delta PDP-Pro Ammo, loaded with PD's 124 JHP

Also, keep an eye out, because a little birdy told me PD might have a new sporting projectile offering very soon ;) 

As to FMJs, I think you'll have very good results with PD FMJs as well. 

I'm partial to RMR.  I think they're every bit as accurate as PD.  At least for me.

Every time I shop around before a big purchase and 99 times out of 100 RMR is the most cost effective AND they offer a great product. They are also offering a new profile flat point FMJ “match” bullet in popular 9MM weights. Haven’t tried them yet but I’d like too.

When PD has blem sales on their 9MM they are tough to beat as well. Due to bullet profile I can’t load them as long as the RMR profile JHP.

I also purchased some bulk 9MM JHP from Everglades this past holiday season on sale. I find these bullets to be very accurate. I can on average load them longer than the PD due to bullet profile. Their normal prices are competitive , but again the RMR product is every bit as good or better at a better price.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I did testing with Montana Gold 115 jhp and Everglades Ammunition 115 RN jhp v2 and Everglades were just as good at lower price point. The Everglades also have a more rounded profile which also seem to feed better if you gun doesn’t like flat point profile. 

I was looking for a more traditional FMJ shape, but those RMR 124 Truncated Cone Flat Point MatchWinners look interesting. Shape just like an XTP or other modern JHP.

Look at the pic's, never seen a jacket so thick.

19 minutes ago, FF1063 said:

I was looking for a more traditional FMJ shape, but those RMR 124 Truncated Cone Flat Point MatchWinners look interesting. Shape just like an XTP or other modern JHP.

I used to shoot them a lot for my shadow 2, TSO and X5. They are very accurate. I just have to load it short for my CZs due to the bullet profile and ogive. 

I alternate shooting RMR TCFP and PDs JHP. Both are very accurate in my guns with Sport Pistol.

28 minutes ago, FF1063 said:

I'd keep my eye on PD over the next week or two. 

There's something coming that sounds like it might be exactly what you are looking for (and might provide better value too) ;)

thumbnail_Snapseed.jpg

Edited by Ssanders224

I had interesting conversation with a guy that used to work in the ballistics lab at Hornady and wrote one of their manuals.

He told me that years ago Hornady wanted to save some money on production costs so they started making their bullets with a thinner shell of copper. By pure chance, those bullets ended up being more accurate.