Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!
Tammi

CZ Shadow 2 Rear Sight Adjustment

I recently purchase this gun and I had an RO from a local range adjust the sight for me. He did pretty well adjusting it, I was able to shoot centered from 3 to 7 yards away. However, one hour later at the range, I noticed my shot was hitting low left — believe me, I thought it was me (at first) for not gripping onto the grip panel tightly. Moreover, I experienced the samething  while shooting the shadow 2 at a match or a local range.  Therefore, I need guidance on how to adjust my rear sight

Tammi, I’d recommend you benching the pistol and shoot from a rest or sandbag before blaming it on the sights. I’ve shot several out of the box and nine were significantly low or left.

I’m going on a limb thinking you’re likely a new shooter and right handed. It is typically that inexperienced shooters will shoot low left. This is exacerbated in double-action.

Should you discover that the sight needs adjusted, the process should be in the owner’s manual.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The gun shoots straight. You do not.

Don’t believe me? Shoot it two handed, but swap hands and pull the trigger with your weak hand.

Lo and behold, shots will impact the target in an entirely different place.

Hmm.

Clever little test. Never heard of that one MM. Nice one. 

For some reason, when I first got into this I kept buying guns that all shot low left. As years went by, I seemed to stop doing that and just buying ones that weren’t as accurate as me. Working on that. 

OTOH, sometimes sights really do need adjustment. Your sight should have little adjustments that you adjust one click at a time until they’re where you want them. But it would be best to have an RO adjust this from a bench at the range you need. After that you’ll know the sights are OK and that it’s time to work on technique. I still am every practice, FWIW. 

Here's a bit of math to put it in perspective.

The S2 sights are 168 mm apart. The most you can really adjust the sights in any direction is about 3 mm. If you remember a bit of high school trig that's an angle of Tan(-) = (3/168) or just a fraction over 1 degree.

If we extend that 1 degree worth of adjustment out to three yards, the most you can move the bullet by adjusting the sights Tan(1.024) * distance = 1.92 inches.  If your shots are any more than 2 inches off the bulls-eye at 3 yards then there's no way it can be corrected by moving the sights.

On 6/26/2019 at 11:25 AM, belus said:

Here's a bit of math to put it in perspective.

The S2 sights are 168 mm apart. The most you can really adjust the sights in any direction is about 3 mm. If you remember a bit of high school trig that's an angle of Tan(-) = (3/168) or just a fraction over 1 degree.

If we extend that 1 degree worth of adjustment out to three yards, the most you can move the bullet by adjusting the sights Tan(1.024) * distance = 1.92 inches.  If your shots are any more than 2 inches off the bulls-eye at 3 yards then there's no way it can be corrected by moving the sights.

Wow..that's....that's ...Just wow! 😲

3 hours ago, Youngeyes said:

Wow..that's....that's ...Just wow! 😲

i don't listen to anyones math till i run it by Jethro to do some cypher'n on.