Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

9 major load with HS6

levellinebrad

My current load for Czechmate using Everglades HP RN Type 2 has me down to 7.8gr of HS-6 but I'm at 177PF.  With the same amount of powder and PD RN 124s I only get to 172PF.  The difference is in the seating depth and the pressure it is creating inside the case.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...
On 6/26/2019 at 6:14 AM, levellinebrad said:

Good morning all! I’m up this morning looking for some knowledge and understanding of HS6. I’ve loaded many thousands of rounds 9major with 8.1 gr hs6, 124gr PDHP, at 1.165 and was achieving a 170pf. That was all out of 2 different CK open guns. I finally received my SVI open gun a couple of months ago and had thought that the load would work fine due to the fact that I have a friend with 2 SVI’s that are almost identical to my build who runs that load and getting about a 170pf. That load was however only making 162pf from my SVI. I bumped it up to 8.2gr and got to a 165pf and 8.4gr was a 164pf. I ran several strings of 6 shots and the results were the same. My chrono has always been spot on with every chrono at the several major matches  I’ve shot so I’m pretty positive that results are accurate so on to the questions.

1) what is it about different barrels that makes the same load either slower or faster?

2) Why would a load using .2 gr more powder result in a lower velocity?

3) does anyone load HS6 higher than 8.4gr

i have about 6lbs of HS6 that I’d like to use up and I like the feel of HS6 vs AA7. It seems to be a bit more snappy which I actually like. Thanks

Just read this to get hs6 info to try loads for a Tanfo V12. On one of your issues, I don’t think anyone mentioned set back, which can dramatically affect your results. Shoot a few, eject one.  Repeat a few times and measure for oal changes. I’m interested in your current results. 

On 9/27/2019 at 9:43 PM, Dan4147 said:

Just read this to get hs6 info to try loads for a Tanfo V12. On one of your issues, I don’t think anyone mentioned set back, which can dramatically affect your results. Shoot a few, eject one.  Repeat a few times and measure for oal changes. I’m interested in your current results. 

There are no set back issues with the rounds. I think that the reason I can’t comfortably make major with HS6 is the length of the barrel combined  with the large popple holes in the barrel. It is taking a lot of gas to generate enough pressure to accelerate the round and operate the popples  and comp correctly. I am currently loading 10.1gr AA7 to make a 170pf. I had to bump it up after switching to a new jug of powder. The gun is stupid flat at 170.

3 hours ago, levellinebrad said:

There are no set back issues with the rounds. I think that the reason I can’t comfortably make major with HS6 is the length of the barrel combined  with the large popple holes in the barrel. It is taking a lot of gas to generate enough pressure to accelerate the round and operate the popples  and comp correctly. I am currently loading 10.1gr AA7 to make a 170pf. I had to bump it up after switching to a new jug of powder. The gun is stupid flat at 170.

OK thanks.  fwiw my current load gets 172 pf.  I have to load short 1.145 because the k9 mags won't work consistently with longer.  I use RMR 124 hp (round nose) so I don't have to seat so deep.  Autocomp 7.6 gr no spillage or compression.

• 4 weeks later...

If your SVI gun has an AET (twist gain barrel) that is the reason for the difference in velocity. I had an Infinity IMM open gun which was 50 fps slower than my STI DVC Steel gun with the same ammo. These barrels are extremely accurate but slow.

If its an AET you will find that marking on the barrel, visible through the ejection port.