Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What does Gen 5 do better than Gen 3?

nso123

I have read people say that the Gen 5 34 is better than the Gen 3. I have not shot a Gen 5 yet, so what do you guys think a Gen 5 does better than a Gen 3?  Is there a compelling reason to change to the Gen 5?

I have a tricked out Gen 3 G34 and a brand new Gen 5 G17 MOS. The G34 is an amazing gun, but it’s taken a ton of money and time to get there. Is it better than the G17...yes. Was it in it it’s original stock form...no. The new Gen 5 grip and flared magwell are, in my opinion, far superior to the Gen 3 stuff. And the trigger. The Gen 5 trigger is the best out of the box Glock trigger ever. Period. The front serrations are also a nice addition/improvement. So, stock out of the box, you get a lot of the nice upgrades/additions that people are spending big money to do/add to their gen 3 pistols.

The only thing I have done and will do to the g17 is add Dawson Precision non cowitness MOS sights and I have a Deltapoint Pro in bound.

f23ecf354093177bf6f9e542e951e9c1.jpg

285437268375802cad2b5fa8c3cf1176.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think the Gen 5 is a little more accurate. It ejects brass a lot more consistent. It's a little easier to hit reloads.  I think the triggers are a little better too. I prefer no finger grooves. 

The only negative for the Gen 5 is the short european style chamber.   

Do you need to sell your Gen 3 to get a Gen 5,.... Probably not. 

I think the Gen 5 is a little more accurate. It ejects brass a lot more consistent. It's a little easier to hit reloads.  I think the triggers are a little better too. I prefer no finger grooves. 

The only negative for the Gen 5 is the short european style chamber.   

Do you need to sell your Gen 3 to get a Gen 5,.... Probably not. 

I would agree with Mr Rad. The new barrels are for sure “tighter” and that I believe leads to a little better accuracy...but at the expense of the as stated shorter throats.

I wouldn’t get rid of any of my many gen 3 Glocks. But I did say I wouldn’t buy any more Glocks...them came home with the G17 MOS. They’re just so damn cheap and effective.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Short answer, nothing. Slightly longer answer, it's nice to have a flared magwell, front serrations, optic ready, and slightly better trigger out of the box. No, I wouldn't list all your Gen 3s for sale, but if starting from scratch, Gen 5 is the way to go.

Thanks for the info.  Sounds like I will keep my Gen 3 for the time being. It runs great and I am happy with it.  I just wanted to be sure that I wasn't missing out on a major upgrade. 

Supposedly the TRS is more resistant to breaking in the gen 5 trigger housing, but I dont know anyone who actually broke a TRS in a Glock.

Either way, I still agree with everything said here. Nothing worth upgrading if youre comfortable on a gen 3.

Edited by nick779

New member here, but I have both a Gen 5 Glock 34 MOS and a Gen 5 Glock 19 MOS w/ FS, and can attest that the stock trigger is much improved over Gen 4.  I was actually turned off by Glocks until I picked up a Gen 5 and noticed that the tigger had a much cleaner break and less 'mushiness.' 

With a TTI Grandmaster Connector kit with mirror finished, polished internals, and the trigger is even better.  I've had a couple of experienced shooters stop and say "whoa, that's a good trigger"* 

*"for a Glock" 🤣

Also not a fan of the finger grooves on previous generations.  

I myself and my wife both did not like the gen 3 and gen 4 glocks. Now with the gen 5 my wife Had to have the G19. She chose it over my PPQ due to the grip and ease of loading. I had to do a little trigger work to make her happy but thats the easy part.