Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

2011 Mag springs.

Fuzz

I watched a guy at a match this weekend cleaning his mags. As he did this he would stretch out the spring. I have never seen this before. Is this helpful? Does it add extra wear to the spring? Curious what everyone thinks. 

Springs wear out by compression and expansion.  It just adds wear and tear on them.  Maybe he just needed to limp them along for an extra stage.

Edited by LuvDog

• 2 weeks later...

Would anyone recommend extra power magazine springs over the standard?  I was having an issue with failure to feed the 40 Federal Syntech and suspect it may be either the magazine springs, or the recoil springs.  I also think it may just be the shorter OAL and flat bullet profile, but im trying to trouble shoot the cheapest way possible.  Any ideas on whether or not the extra power mag springs may help with this issue, or provide more reliability in the mags in general?

18 hours ago, Robertwil18 said:

Would anyone recommend extra power magazine springs over the standard?  I was having an issue with failure to feed the 40 Federal Syntech and suspect it may be either the magazine springs, or the recoil springs.  I also think it may just be the shorter OAL and flat bullet profile, but im trying to trouble shoot the cheapest way possible.  Any ideas on whether or not the extra power mag springs may help with this issue, or provide more reliability in the mags in general?

we have found mbx magazine springs to be pretty flimsy. Our last batch started having feeding problems on the last few rounds after only a few weeks. We bent some tti springs to fit the mbx followers, and have found those to resolve the problem.

Depending on the gun, short rounds, weak mag springs, and STI gen 2 magazines may cause problems. stronger springs and loading longer may help. And of course loading your own ammo is drastically cheaper than buying 40 ammo.

On 6/25/2019 at 2:52 PM, RangerTrace said:

Yeah, I think that is a bad habit and I've never done it.  If you need to add a little pressure to the follower, it's time for new springs.

There was an IPSC guy from Europe that posted about stretching springs and annealing in the oven (near max) for a couple hours. I tried it once and it did seem to work but it was just easier to drop in on Beven and get new springs every year...

Found the process. I think it was on the Global Village, author unknown...

"

First, make sure that your spouse isn't at home!!

Remove any oil from the springs before the treatment. When it comes to magazine springs, I use to pull (stretch) them out almost 1". Wrap all springs you want to re-temper, in aluminium folio and put them in the cold kitchen oven. Turn the heat on at 275-300 degrees C (sorry, no idea what it makes in Fahrenheit). Let the springs be treated for 2 hours, after the oven has reached the designated temperature. Then turn the heat off and leave it until it has cooled down. Don't take the springs out until the thermostat is down to 50 degrees C, at least.

I still use all my original springs, except for the recoil spring. The recoil spring broke after three treatments, at around 25 000 rds. After that, I always changes the recoil spring after 10 000 rds, and I never re-temper it more than once. I have treated my magazine springs at least five times now, and I suppose it would be a good idea to change them now. I will save one of them though, and use it for practice extensively, to find out where the limit goes.

I will not claim that this is a scientifically appropriate way to re-tempering gun springs, but it works and could be done at home. Maybe another temperature setting would get a more optimal result, I don't know. I read about it in a magazine somewhere a long time ago, and I have only tested it this way. If anyone who reads this has a better knowledge in these matters, please send an E-mail to me.

Anyone who thinks this trick is messy or doesn't think it will work, buy new springs.

"

when you experience a failure to feed ammo and get jamming, etc it is time to install new mag springs. they are inexpensive and should be changed at least once a year. ISMI makes good springs.

• 3 months later...

Hmm. Never thought about this. I bend my springs straight again. I notice when I’m cleaning the follows part of the spring kinda bends like a banana. Never thought about stretching the spring. Maybe extra wear maybe?

• 5 months later...
On 7/8/2019 at 10:57 AM, ChuckS said:

Found the process. I think it was on the Global Village, author unknown...

"

First, make sure that your spouse isn't at home!!

Remove any oil from the springs before the treatment. When it comes to magazine springs, I use to pull (stretch) them out almost 1". Wrap all springs you want to re-temper, in aluminium folio and put them in the cold kitchen oven. Turn the heat on at 275-300 degrees C (sorry, no idea what it makes in Fahrenheit). Let the springs be treated for 2 hours, after the oven has reached the designated temperature. Then turn the heat off and leave it until it has cooled down. Don't take the springs out until the thermostat is down to 50 degrees C, at least.

I still use all my original springs, except for the recoil spring. The recoil spring broke after three treatments, at around 25 000 rds. After that, I always changes the recoil spring after 10 000 rds, and I never re-temper it more than once. I have treated my magazine springs at least five times now, and I suppose it would be a good idea to change them now. I will save one of them though, and use it for practice extensively, to find out where the limit goes.

I will not claim that this is a scientifically appropriate way to re-tempering gun springs, but it works and could be done at home. Maybe another temperature setting would get a more optimal result, I don't know. I read about it in a magazine somewhere a long time ago, and I have only tested it this way. If anyone who reads this has a better knowledge in these matters, please send an E-mail to me.

Anyone who thinks this trick is messy or doesn't think it will work, buy new springs.

"

Interesting...

• 7 months later...

I see two different types of mag springs for MBX 2011 mags: a 13 coil spring for 170mm mags, and 13 coil for 155mm mags.  They have two different SKUs.  However, it seems like every other site just has 13 coil springs for 170/155mm springs.  Is there really an appreciable difference between the two different type of 13 coil springs?

• 3 months later...
On 7/8/2019 at 10:29 AM, motosapiens said:

we have found mbx magazine springs to be pretty flimsy. Our last batch started having feeding problems on the last few rounds after only a few weeks. We bent some tti springs to fit the mbx followers, and have found those to resolve the problem.

Depending on the gun, short rounds, weak mag springs, and STI gen 2 magazines may cause problems. stronger springs and loading longer may help. And of course loading your own ammo is drastically cheaper than buying 40 ammo.

I've found this to be true on the MBX mags as well; i dont know how many generations that the mbx mags have been through but i have had to replace the older gen mbx with a grams spring and follower kit.  Since replacing them with the grams kit everything has been fine.