Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

When your RED dot dies

Czgunsalot

Got a question.  So everyone shooting dot guns should always have a back up gun and or back up Dot.

So lets say you’re “the shooter”. Make ready and your dot dies.  Go to the safety table and swap out your dot.  

Here’s my Question.  When this happens how do you confirm your zero after changing the dot?  Are you allowed to zero your gun accompanied with a RO or MD.

This is my first season shooting a dot gun.

Most matches I attend have no bay just for practice or sighting in. My buddy and I just think of each other’s guns as our backups! When he isn’t shooting with me, I have a complete back up CO gun exactly like my main gun. 

In order to confirm, you have to shoot it.  Ideally there is a test fire/function bay at the match to do this kind of thing.  At many majors and most locals there is not.  In those cases I will find an RO, explain my situation, and ask if they will assist in allowing me to test fire.  If they say no, I thank them and go find another RO.  In some cases the RO may have you do your testing in a bay with a stage if there is no squad currently shooting, or the RO may take you to an unoccupied open bay.  I've done both.

Short answer is use a test fire bay if it has been made available and if not find an RO to assist you.    

19 minutes ago, theWacoKid said:

In order to confirm, you have to shoot it.  Ideally there is a test fire/function bay at the match to do this kind of thing.  At many majors and most locals there is not.  In those cases I will find an RO, explain my situation, and ask if they will assist in allowing me to test fire.  If they say no, I thank them and go find another RO.  In some cases the RO may have you do your testing in a bay with a stage if there is no squad currently shooting, or the RO may take you to an unoccupied open bay.  I've done both.

Short answer is use a test fire bay if it has been made available and if not find an RO to assist you.    

Awesome thanks.

Most reflex mounts have locating pins.  Put the pre-zero'd replacement dot on, push it forward against the pins and fasten.  If the sides of the head are tapered the zero will be exact.  If socket head or the like, it may be off a little bit.

Something to keep in mind and get the support of your squad mates would be nice. 

6.5 Competitor Scheduling and Squadding
6.5.1 Competitors must compete for score according to the published match and squadding schedule. A competitor who is not present at the scheduled time and date for any stage may not attempt that stage without the prior approval of the Match Director or Range Master, failing which the competitor’s score for that stage will be zero.

Best answer is a backup gun that is ready to go. Don’t know what part of the country you are in, but majors in the Midwest do not have bays that you can zero in mid match.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

14 hours ago, theWacoKid said:

I've never been an r.o. at a local or major match and had the spare time to leave what I was doing and go watch someone who wanted to sight in a gun. Nothing wrong with helping out if the situation permits, but my answer would have always been 'sorry I have things to do". Have been to a match or two that had a hot bay for this stuff which is nice. 

Personally I bring a back up gun already sighted in. 

l've only had my dot go out once at a match and the match director was more than understanding and gave me enough time to mount two different dots that were also broke and then to sight in until I was satisfied.  They let me go to a stage that wasn't being used and let me shoot at one target.  A lot depends on time and the match director's attitude.

Not to Hi-jack, but I am currently waiting on my first open gun from Atlas... What yard zero do most of you zero your dot for? I have been shooting CO for a little and had good luck with a 10 yard zero, but with the increased height over bore I wasnt sure if I should change it

54 minutes ago, travisb2352 said:

Not to Hi-jack, but I am currently waiting on my first open gun from Atlas... What yard zero do most of you zero your dot for? I have been shooting CO for a little and had good luck with a 10 yard zero, but with the increased height over bore I wasnt sure if I should change it

You will hear 15,25 or even 50 yards. What works best for me is to consider what is the typical distance targets set out to at the majority of matches you frequent and zero to that range. THEN it’s critical to know where the gun shoots at very short distance(3’) and very long distance 35+ yards and everything in between. 

Around here we generally shoot about 10-15 yard targets so I zero at about 15 yards.

1 minute ago, Sarge said:

You will hear 15,25 or even 50 yards. What works best for me is to consider what is the typical distance targets set out to at the majority of matches you frequent and zero to that range. THEN it’s critical to know where the gun shoots at very short distance(3’) and very long distance 35+ yards and everything in between. 

Around here we generally shoot about 10-15 yard targets so I zero at about 15 yards.

I just wasnt sure if guys are constantly re-zeroing based on the match, or if it is better to just know your holds for whatever zero you pick and ride with it

1 minute ago, travisb2352 said:

I just wasnt sure if guys are constantly re-zeroing based on the match, or if it is better to just know your holds for whatever zero you pick and ride with it

I never change mine. Just adjust the hold over/under.

I use 15 on my chaos and never have an issue with having to hold anything.

3 hours ago, kujo929 said:

I use 15 on my chaos and never have an issue with having to hold anything.

Do you ever encounter head shots at 3’ or so? Most guns zeroed around 15-20 yards will hit a few inches low up real close. Then for plates at 40 yards the gun will shoot way higher than point of aim.

Do you ever encounter head shots at 3’ or so? Most guns zeroed around 15-20 yards will hit a few inches low up real close. Then for plates at 40 yards the gun will shoot way higher than point of aim.

50 yds on a 6” plate still hits without issue. On close range headshots I’m not aiming for A box of head anyway. Most stages the points are not worth slowing down that much.

Up to you though how you zero and what is important at your level.

3 minutes ago, kujo929 said:

50 yds on a 6” plate still hits without issue. On close range headshots I’m not aiming for A box of head anyway. Most stages the points are not worth slowing down that much.

Up to you though how you zero and what is important at your level.

When I had an upright mount back in the day 3’ head shots with a no shoot under the A zone were murder. Had to aim over the head to stay out of trouble.

I agree , do whatever makes you happy.

When I had an upright mount back in the day 3’ head shots with a no shoot under the A zone were murder. Had to aim over the head to stay out of trouble.
  I agree , do whatever makes you happy.

Using a Holosun my offset at a few feet is only 1.5” or so. Maybe 2 at max. No risk of pulling low off a head unless really jerked. Shot groups today to confirm at 7, 15, and 25 yds and using same aim reference point to aim at all distances group into a fist or so size group. Then walked up and shot some at 3ft in middle of head to check.

Bore height will play into it some depending on gun/mount/optic