Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

DQ 'yourself' - trigger bump / double?

Khaot1c

If - during a course of fire - you shoot your firearm before you 'mean to' should you DQ yourself?

Would being at a local or Major match change your mind?

Example: WSB calls for switch of hands from strong hand to weak hand after a mandatory reload. Upon performing reload, shooter switches hand and presents gun to target.

Scenario 1: The sights are close to the target but not in an ideal alignment for taking the shot. Meanwhile, the trigger finger gets into the trigger guard and presses the trigger -before actually finishing the sight alignment.

Scenario 2: Shooter is shooting strong or weak hand only.  Engaging targets and bumps the trigger - causing a 'double tap' instead of a controlled pair.

Thoughts?

6 minutes ago, motosapiens said:

I wouldn't dq myself for those things, nor would I dq another shooter. That stuff is safe, and allowed by the rules.

what he said...

16 minutes ago, rishii said:

I had a NROI instructor tell me you can’t DQ yourself

Maybe not.  But you can stop, unload and show clear, and then withdraw (DNF) which achieves the same exact thing.

Edited by elguapo

idpa, small local match, i didn't have to, but dq'd myself.  i was pressing out, on target, and my elbow or wrist or something hit a barricade that the ro/so had been moving around so i lit one off before i intended to,  hit the target but unnerved me a little.  not a dq by the rules though.

On 6/24/2019 at 7:37 AM, elguapo said:

Maybe not.  But you can stop, unload and show clear, and then withdraw (DNF) which achieves the same exact thing.

That’s pretty much what I did, AD on a reload, ulsc, holstered and told the a fairly new RO to DQ me, I told he story to the instructor and his reply was you can’t DQ yourself

4 hours ago, rishii said:

That’s pretty much what I did, AD on a reload, ulsc, holstered and told the a fairly new RO to DQ me, I told he story to the instructor and his reply was you can’t DQ yourself

Right, except you don't need to ask for a DQ.  Just say you're withdrawing from the match.  You don't even need to give a reason.

For a DQ you have to quote the rule that was violated. Both scenarios sound like you just fired a mike. Shooting sports are a lot like golf. The rules work in your favor, if you know them well. 

Your post does show that you exibit good sportsmanlike behavior though. Take those scenarios as a wake up call and bump up the dry fire. 

Lol I guess you could “DQ yourself if you wanted to waste your time, ammo, and match fees? I get wanting to abide by the rules and putting safety above all else, but the scenario you described 1) doesn’t break any of the rules as they are written, and 2) should be left to a certified RO to determine whether your actions were considered unsafe and make that call.

Now as far as the guy mentioned above that intentionally AD’d to get a DQ instead of taking their garbage match performance, that should be considered unsportsmanlike conduct and maybe grounds for a temporary ban/restriction from whatever club they’re at. It’s honestly more childish than anything though.

19 hours ago, levellinebrad said:

If i shot myself in the foot, I’d argue the dq. I’d swear up and down that that’s where I was aiming and just mistook it for a target! Then of course I would demand a reshoot 😁

Technically if you won the Challenge, 

Could you go to the hospital and get back and finish the match the following day? Or is that up to the MD to let you switch squads to a different day?

6.5.1 Competitors must compete for score according to the published match and 
squadding schedule.  A competitor who is not present at the scheduled time 
and date for any stage may not attempt that stage without the prior approval 
of the Match Director or Range Master, failing which the competitor’s score 
for that stage will be zero. 

7 minutes ago, waktasz said:

6.5.1 Competitors must compete for score according to the published match and 
squadding schedule.  A competitor who is not present at the scheduled time 
and date for any stage may not attempt that stage without the prior approval 
of the Match Director or Range Master, failing which the competitor’s score 
for that stage will be zero. 

Well you're no fun...….