Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

P226 Legion for Production

badlander

It certainly isn't the most popular choice out there for production (most people go with CZ or Tanfo for a DA/SA production gun) because of the lower bore axis, extra weight, ergonomics, and aftermarket support. 

From a reliability stand point there is nothing wrong with it.  I think the biggest things working against the legion are the factory sight configuration (easily fixed by replacing the front sight with one of a different height to change from a combat hold) and the weight of the trigger pull (somewhat fixable by changing the mainspring, sear spring, and polishing).  People will always say the bore axis is too high yet, the 320 seems popular enough. I think it is a little too snappy with the aluminum frame when compared to a cz or Tanfo.

I shot an all stainless version of the 226 for a while and really liked it. 

If the LDC were ever to make it on to the production list I would happily shoot it in matches.  Although the LDC has a an adjustable rear sight, FO front sight, all stainless frame, heavy barrel,  and full length dust cover so it isn't an apples to apples comparison. 

The grips on the legion are really nice and with some extended base pads for the mags I think it would be suitable as a back up gun or production gun. 

The X5 all-around has been used with success in IPSC (I believe it has won in the senior division there before) although it is also an all steel gun so it soaks up the recoil better to help offset the high bore axis.  

I think most of the things people have against using the 226 are easy enough to overcome with enough time behind the trigger.  I am by no means a championship level shooter and am just here to have fun and improve so I personally see nothing wrong with shooting what you like.  

I also say all of this as someone who shoots a Tanfo at matches.  I own numerous Sigs though and have had done well by my own standards in steel Challenge with a X5 L1.  I also keep a sig 226 at my bed safe and prefer to carry a Sig when I do actually  need to carry....

Edited by billthemarine2862

5 hours ago, badlander said:

Does anyone have any experience with the P226 Legion as far as reliability and suitability for Production Class? This is one of the pistols I am looking at as a primary or a backup for my Beretta 92FS. 

Thanks for your help.

Shot a 226 uspsa model, all stainless weighs about 40 + ozs.

Did the above mentioned trigger work and had no problems.

Let the wife shoot it and it became hers that day!!!!

We put a Delta Point on it (original one) and she's shot it in C/O for 3 years or so.

She won't give it up , she's tried tanfo's, CZ's and 320x-5's and keeps going back to the 226.

So if you're not following the flavor of the month club it'll do you fine.

Obviously if your main gun is a 92 you don't follow that club!!!

The all stainless USPSA model 226 is a sweet gun!

The extra weight of any stainless 226 really makes a big difference.

No matter what sig you go with I should add that the support for them is growing.  In addition to Burke (who does some great work in house) you have Gray Guns that sells springs and triggers,  and now I have noticed that not only does Armory Craft sell a couple of different types of triggers but they also have hammers and spring kits as well.

There is a guy named Ben that we all know of who once won big with a 92...

Edited by billthemarine2862

I shot a 226 enhanced elite for a while in production with e2 grips. I believe I had Dawson sights on it, if I remember correctly. It was a decent gun, did a little polishing and slightly dropped hammer spring weight. I liked it, but I shoot a stock 2 now and dryfired a 226 elite stainless recently and didn’t like the feel of it that much. Felt very bulky, but the e2 grips and some others are thinner. I don’t buy into the bore axis as a real issue, I could split Sig’s (226 and 320) as fast as a stock 2. A real shortcoming with the 226 is easy access to competition related parts. Grayguns is about your only supplier (except for springs). They make great parts but if they’re out of stock, it could be tough to find what you need...at least that was the case when I had mine, maybe that’s changed

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 1 year later...

I ran a 226 legion in production just fine.  great gun, and I bought the legion for the trigger, and grips, etc but the trigger was a huge piece.  its simple stunning for a service pistol.  Its basically as good as any tuned competition pistol, but out of the box, and "service pistol" reliability.  226 legion is definitely not going to hold you back as a production gun.  but for various other reasons, aftermarket support, etc most competition shooters are going to take a tanfo or CZ ,etc.