Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Equipment Help for New Shooter

badlander

I am a new Production shooter, 4 matches total, and I need some help with the equipment. I am currently using a Beretta 92FS and a BladeTech OWB holster plus a couple of mismatched magazine pouches. I had the opportunity this month to attend Steve Anderson's weekend USPSA class. One of his comments to me was to gear up with a competition belt, holster and magazine pouches so I was practicing with the same equipment all the time. I tried to order this equipment through Safarieland and have been very dissatisfied with the results. Can you recommend a company that I can contact for the equipment that is familiar with the requirements for USPSA? Thanks for your help.

If you're in to it and are enjoying yourself...buy once cry once.  I tried the dicka round way of doing it, meaning buy cheap and it should be good enough...until it isn't and you end up buying better stuff down the road.  If it's something you see yourself doing for a couple/few years, invest in good gear.

Shooters connection does have everything you could need.  I actually use one of their belts, and it's great.  DAA or CR speed might be better, I don't know.  That was the one lesser expensive thing I bought that worked.  As for mag pouches, that's almost a "which lube is best" kind of question.  You'll get all sorts of answers.  DAA, CR, Guga Ribas, Limcat...there's tons out there.  All have +'s and -'s and all have their share of fans and detractors.  I like the DAA Polymer pouches, others like the Aluminum, I can see why CR's are popular.  If you go with something and hate it, and it's not banged up, any of them should hold a decent resale value and you can sell them here on the forum and try something else.

This ^^^.

When I bought my stuff there was not as large a selection as now.  I like the DAA belts.  The Shooters Connection belt is made by the same firm, but the inner belt is thicker and stiffer.  I prefer the DAA.  For Production I like the Ben Stoeger BOSS hanger with holster.  I'm fussy about mag pouches.  I want the pressure applied to the back of the mag instead of squeezing the sides.  The DAA Racers are the nicest I've tried.  I have six of them and the hold up, pluss work really well.

I’ve always ordered from shooters connection or Ben Stoeger pro shop, both have a great selection and fast shipment. I’ve only ever ordered from Safariland if I have a discount code then I always expect a delay in getting my items.

Personal recommendations:

shooter connection belt. Best bang for the money, I have three now... and I’ve run a CRSpeed, DAA, and others.

DAA racer pouches (the plastic ones) or Ghost 360 pouches. I used go run ghost, prefer the DAAs. Both will accomodate virtually all production gun mags so you won’t buy new ones if you wind up switching guns down the road.

BOSS hanger from ben stoeger’s shop, and the holster body of your choice bolted to it.

1 hour ago, MemphisMechanic said:

Personal recommendations:

shooter connection belt. Best bang for the money, I have three now... and I’ve run a CRSpeed, DAA, and others.

DAA racer pouches (the plastic ones) or Ghost 360 pouches. I used go run ghost, prefer the DAAs. Both will accomodate virtually all production gun mags so you won’t buy new ones if you wind up switching guns down the road.

BOSS hanger from ben stoeger’s shop, and the holster body of your choice bolted to it.

I went this way when I started, saved me money as well helped buy the others by what I saved.

Both Shooter's and Stoeger's are great and I know Stoeger's is very fast to ship. I've done more business with Ben Stoeger's so I know that if you write them with a question like, what do you recommend me use for a (blank) for competing in (blank), they'll set you up and not rip you off. I'm sure SC would be the same - they have a good reputation and great selection - but I just have never tried that.  

And of course there are plenty of people here to give advice.

I have shooters connection belt.  It works great .  I have used crspeed and daa racers.  Shooters Connection is great to deal with.  They sponsor alot of matches and stages.  They definitely support the sport and have great prices- fast shipping