Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Patriot's Day

carinab

I just finished watching a program about the events of 9-11 and realized that I hadn't heard or seen much else regarding the terrorist attacks...as if September 11th were just another day. September 11th is not a day like any other. Today must not become a day like any other. Please take some time out and remember, re-live, and realize the impact that day had on all of us who call ourselves Americans. Pray for those who have already sacrificed their lives to bring the perpetrators to justice. We should also think of those who currently fight the war on terror...some who are our very own forum members...and remember them in our prayers.

Carina and All,

September 11, 2001 is a day I don't want to remember, but will never get to forget.

About six months after that day, someone asked what significant things I'd learned, not from September 11, but in general. Here it is...

1. Hot cocoa brought by your commander on behalf of his wife tastes good at 0300 when it's freezing in October.

2. Military working dogs adore their handlers and you too sometimes. (Britt is retired now, but he's still a cutie.)

3. No matter how much the guy in the car resents the search of his vehicle, it has to be done. It's not personal.

4. Smile, sometimes it's all you have to keep you warm and even the most impatient appreciate it.

5. Look up once in awhile when you are feeling overwhelmed. You might be surprised at who's helping you. (My unit commander, Chief of Operations, First Sergeant, and a whole host of others were checking ID's along with me. The line to get in the gate was at least four miles long in two directions.)

6. Sometimes you have to do things just for you, even if it is by accident. Pulling the Base Commander's car over for an inspection is pure bliss sometimes.

7. Those berets look cool, but they don't keep your head cool or warm. Thank God for BDU caps!!

So, do I remember? Yes. Do I want to? No. Should I have to? No. Should I do what I can to make damnned sure it doesn't happen again here? Yes.

What am I doing to that end? I will go to work just like everyone else in this country. We press on and get the job done. Our ability to keep going even when all the odds are stacked against us is what sets us apart from other countries.

v/r,

Liota