Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Not staying open on last shot

Poconolg

I have an old 1911 made by Auto Ordanance in  1983.  About 15 years ago I had it worked on.  Wilson barrel and some other work done to make it work smoother.  Now on the last shot the slide closes.   What might be the cause of this?   I used a different mag but that didn't make any change.  Any ideas?  Thanks for the answers.

Could be several things.

• The slide may be short stroking due to a too strong recoil spring not allowing the slide stop to engage the slot in the slide.

• The follower is sticking in the magazine after the last round is chambered and not popping up to engage the slide stop.  Discovered this problem recently with several magazines. https://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?p=6687476#post6687476

• The follower is not engaging the slide stop lug.  Diagnose by removing the slide then slowly inserting an empty mag while observing whether or not the follower solidly engages the slide stop lug.

• The slide stop tab that engages the slide stop slot in the slide may be worn so badly that it slips out of the slot or the slot itself may be badly peened allowing the same thing to happen.

• If there is a recoil buffer in the pistol, remove it as it could be preventing the slide from moving all the way to the rear.

I'm sure there are other things that I can't dredge up out of the depths of my mind just now.

Edited by Steve in Allentown PA

On 6/22/2019 at 6:09 PM, Steve in Allentown PA said:

Could be several things.

• The slide may be short stroking due to a too strong recoil spring not allowing the slide stop to engage the slot in the slide.

• The follower is sticking in the magazine after the last round is chambered and not popping up to engage the slide stop.  Discovered this problem recently with several magazines. https://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?p=6687476#post6687476

• The follower is not engaging the slide stop lug.  Diagnose by removing the slide then slowly inserting an empty mag while observing whether or not the follower solidly engages the slide stop lug.

• The slide stop tab that engages the slide stop slot in the slide may be worn so badly that it slips out of the slot or the slot itself may be badly peened allowing the same thing to happen.

• If there is a recoil buffer in the pistol, remove it as it could be preventing the slide from moving all the way to the rear.

I'm sure there are other things that I can't dredge up out of the depths of my mind just now.

I've had each of these issues at one point or another.  I've also had a problem with only my Springfield, but the ledge on the follower in some of my Wilson 47D mags were barely catching the slide stop tab.  I didnt realize it until those mag followers wore down some, and it got to a point they wouldn't fully engage anymore, causing random failures to lock open.  Finally realized it after breaking the mags down and cleaning and inspecting everything.  Dropped some new followers in, problem fixed partially.  Fit a new Wilson slide stop to replace the factory one, got better engagement on the slide stop tab, now no problems with that gun for over 15 years.

Edited by alohn2000
Fat fingered words

Simple test.... if you insert an empty mag & pull slide back, will it lock open?  If yes, then most likely something is causing short stroking when firing.  If it does not lock back, likely mag spring, follower, or slide stop issue