Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

New Open mags

bradhe

2 hours ago, verla said:

I have been using STI 140 and 170 mags for years with no problem. Trick is to maintain correct measurements, change springs yearly, clean mags after each stage, and check the condition of the follower. Just want mine to work vs cramming in as many rounds as possible.

^^^^this^^^^^^

140 with Dawson +1 base pads. Easy to grab off the belt but not too top heavy to run with them on a belt. Like veria said, keep them clean and well maintained and you’ll have no problems. That holds true for any mag though. I not sure what advantages there are to 155, 140’s mixed with 170’s seem like they will do everything 155’s mixed with ether one will do. But that’s just my opinion. 

How do you guys like the stock gen 2 STI 170 mm mags?

I’ve had really good luck with the stock gen 2 140 mm in my 9mms, but I got a stock 170 that will NOT work. It nose dives every third round or so and it is very frustrating. I guess I’ll buy a MBX 170?

I run all STI gen2 mags 4 170s and 6 140s...bought the tubes set them to the correct specs for the side dimensions and feed lips. Use TTI guts and basepads with zero issues.

Edited by TRPOperator

• 2 weeks later...

I like the 155 but do not think they are essential to your kit if you already own 140s and 170s. 155 are nice to start with when you know you have to reload and want extra rounds over a 140 plus the extra weight helps a bit when it comes time to reload imo

MBX is the best, especially with the 155 option for reload. I must admit I have had excellent luck with Gen 2 STI mags though. Replace the guts with Grams, basepad with your pick and off to the races. Cheaper to restart with if money demands. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 6/22/2019 at 1:26 PM, bradhe said:

Getting back into open and need to upgrade mags (currently running old STI tubes and unknown (I have forgotten) innards)

Limcat DragonCat in 38 super

It seems like the MBX are the most popular.  Thoughts?  I am interested more in reliability than cramming in the last possible round.  I am not worried about the price difference.

Finally, it used to be that you bought 3-4 140s and a big stick and then you were set, but now there are 155s.  What are people using those for?

thanks

Brad

I am glad you got a Limcat from my friends. They are really great to work with. In speaking to Julian just this morning, I learned that the very best magazines are the old STI magazines, the ones with 3 lines down the sides. They recommend those, but of course, they are no longer made. While the Lim's have been able to resolve my concerns every time, now I understand I am having magazine issues with my MBX 170mm's. 

On 7/25/2019 at 10:31 AM, USCSBarney said:

MBX is the best, especially with the 155 option for reload. I must admit I have had excellent luck with Gen 2 STI mags though. Replace the guts with Grams, basepad with your pick and off to the races. Cheaper to restart with if money demands. 

MBX is NOT the best, especially if you have to deal with them for customer service. Adrian is giving me a lot of push back for problems with his 170mm's. I have tried and tried and I still get the same response, it must be the gun, or the ammo, etc. etc. I have many examples, here is just one:

82985953_IMG_07172.thumb.JPG.eb056d7a90a87d5d5aca1e722c7af077.JPG

I have made changes to the 38 Super Comp Ammo (shortening, load changes, etc.). What is weird is how of the 4 170mm magazines I own, 2 of them do the above. Since I bought them at different times, we suspect that there have been changes made to the magazines without notice and now I have two that do not work. 

Very frustrated, but then, that is why there are other magazine manufacturers out there and I plan to try the STI magazines a try. 

20 hours ago, Nevadazielmeister said:

I am glad you got a Limcat from my friends. They are really great to work with. In speaking to Julian just this morning, I learned that the very best magazines are the old STI magazines, the ones with 3 lines down the sides. They recommend those, but of course, they are no longer made. While the Lim's have been able to resolve my concerns every time, now I understand I am having magazine issues with my MBX 170mm's. 

MBX is NOT the best, especially if you have to deal with them for customer service. Adrian is giving me a lot of push back for problems with his 170mm's. I have tried and tried and I still get the same response, it must be the gun, or the ammo, etc. etc. I have many examples, here is just one:

I have made changes to the 38 Super Comp Ammo (shortening, load changes, etc.). What is weird is how of the 4 170mm magazines I own, 2 of them do the above. Since I bought them at different times, we suspect that there have been changes made to the magazines without notice and now I have two that do not work. 

Very frustrated, but then, that is why there are other magazine manufacturers out there and I plan to try the STI magazines a try. 

I'm experiencing this exact same thing. In both malfunction and CS from MBX. I have 6 (3x 170 & 3x 155) causing this problem. They're literally blaming everything but the mags. I'll buy that there could be things that could be tweaked with the gun, but this starts with the mags. FINALLY got a return address to send them to - with a response that the problem WILL not be the mags and they'll run 100%. 🤔 

I currently have 4 Gen 2 STIs with Grams guts and TTI basepads en route per Beven Grams recommendation. At least he can tune those and stand behind them. 

I run SV, MBX and STI mags in my atlas 9mm chaos. I like the SV 140's the best- never a single issue. The MBX 170mm is fine with some follower tuning. The SV 170's with TTI followers and springs don't like to hold 29 rounds for me- that last round pins the follower to the bottom of the mag. I haven't worked out yet if its the mag, the follower, the spring... I just know that the new STI 170mm mag is my favorite big stick, especially since it has holes on the back so you can see how many are in the mag.