Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!
Sign in to follow this  
Crazy Scientist

140 MM Mags for RIA

On a whim, I got a 45 Double Stack RIA. Overall I have been impressed.  Now obviously this is sort of an 'outlaw' gun, but should I decide to take up a true limited or 3-gun, where does one procure the 140 mm mags for these things.  Using STI mags seems to be hit or miss, so why not just start with factory 140mm mags--but where the heck are they?-have google both on the site and web with no success.  I was able to procure 'Full Size' 14 rounders for my 45 through Greg Cote (highly recommend btw), but tbh if the idea is to go with MBX mags, I'd rather just stick with my STI (yeah I'm a cheapskate, sue me).   I have no issues tuning mags or minor smithing, just need to find something to start with.

Yes I realize its a 45, and I should shoot 40 for major--we have a couple of outlaw steel matches that I want to use this for--its my "fun/mad money" gun.  What can I say, I love a big *** 45.

Posted (edited)

Here are some pads, to get you to 140 Dawson and ahrensomethingorother also makes them as well as extra length spring kits.

https://www.shootersconnectionstore.com/Taylor-Freelance-Rock-Island-PARA-140mm-3-P5017.aspx

You should google to make sure Para mags work. Gun looks like same design,  

Looking at the RIA websight though, I think your question may be where to get 140's,,,  vs just mags.
I think answer to your question is you dont. You get the stock size mags then add extended base pads to get you up to the 140mm length and extra capacity you are looking for... Should be 15-16rounds

Edited by Joe4d

On 6/22/2019 at 2:25 PM, Joe4d said:

Here are some pads, to get you to 140 Dawson and ahrensomethingorother also makes them as well as extra length spring kits.

https://www.shootersconnectionstore.com/Taylor-Freelance-Rock-Island-PARA-140mm-3-P5017.aspx

You should google to make sure Para mags work. Gun looks like same design,  

Looking at the RIA websight though, I think your question may be where to get 140's,,,  vs just mags.
I think answer to your question is you dont. You get the stock size mags then add extended base pads to get you up to the 140mm length and extra capacity you are looking for... Should be 15-16rounds

Ok now I get it, there is no such thing as a 140 para/ria mag (akin to the 126/140.170  mags from STI)-.  Its just a normal mag with extended baseplate and matching spring for expanded capacity.  That's why I was so confused.  I found RIA/Para mags in spades, just didn't realize that was what I needed as a base.  (Thinking like STI 140 + SNL Dawson = 20 rounds 40, so I need a 140 RIA mag + Baseplate= Full capacity).  Its just 'Normal" Mag + extended plate to add capacity

Sometimes you guy's and your crazy limited/open world confuses us simple prod folk.

For future readers.  Para Mags "P14"  do work.    I have both types. the MGP144514AFC or the P-14B-45-14 Arcmscor 54171.  The MGP has an extra coating for $2 more.

http://gregcotellc.com/cart/armscorrock-island1911-actmag-c-152/rock-island-1911-a2-45-acp-14-rd-or-para-p14-54171-p-1331.html

http://gregcotellc.com/cart/armscorrock-island1911-actmag-c-152/rock-island-armory-1911-a2-45-acp-14-rd-wide-body-mgp144514afc-p-1282.html

I've only started but about 1000 rounds, no malf for either.