Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

First PCC

Hey everyone!

I'm new to the forum, but have been reading as many threads as possible regarding my situation. Instead of hijacking someone else's thread, I figured I would just start my own. I am just in the beginning phases of my journey into competitive shooting. There are several divisions I think I would like to compete in, PCC being one of them. PCC is also the main division I don't currently have a set up for.

After my own research, coming from this forum, YouTube / Instagram, and professional shooters such as Max Leograndis, Josh Froelich, and Keith Garcia, I have settled on my top three choices. These are a: JP GMR-15, SIG MPX PCC, or building my own PCC.

I'm a firm believer in quality over quantity, as well as buy once, cry once. Excluding the optic, I expect to spend around $2000. I am okay with it being a little more or a little less.

My number one option right now is to build my own PCC. My main problem is that I am inexperienced in the PCC world. I have built my own ARs, but PCC seems to be a different story. I need help with a build list. With PCCs, I have read that you want to keep the same manufacturer on as many parts of the gun as you can. The most important parts being the BCG and buffer system. I am okay with it being majorly parts from one manufacture like JP, if that is the best thing to do. I tried searching for Max's build list to check out some products he recommends, but I couldn't find it anywhere.

The second option is a toss up. The JPs have a great reputation. Basically everyone that shoots one loves it and brags about its reliability. And it takes Glock mags. I only own Glock handguns, so this is a huge plus. I've also read great reviews of the new SIG MPX. While it has had its issues in the past, everyone seems to love the new generation. I have read many posts from former JP owners that moved to the new SIG after shooting this version.

While I know these two are great out of the box guns, both being able to out shoot my abilities, I would change things in both. The stock and trigger in the MPX. Possibly the stock, trigger, and handguard of the JP. This is the main reason why I want to build.

Anyways, I am looking for any information, recommendations, help, etc. that anyone here is willing to provide!

Edited by lajs1
2 hours ago, lajs1 said:

Hey everyone!

I'm new to the forum, but having been reading as many threads as possible regarding my situation. Instead of hijacking someone else's thread, I figured I would just start my own. I am just in the beginning phases of my journey into competitive shooting. There are several divisions I think I would like to compete in, PCC being one of them. PCC is also the main division I don't currently have a set up for.

After my own research, coming from this forum, YouTube / Instagram, and professional shooters such as Max Leograndis, Josh Froelich, and Keith Garcia, I have settled on my top three choices. These are a: JP GMR-15, SIG MPX PCC, or building my own PCC.

I'm a firm believer in quality over quantity, as well as buy once, cry once. Excluding the optic, I expect to spend around $2000. I am okay with it being a little more or a little less.

My number one option right now is to build my own PCC. My main problem is that I am inexperienced in the PCC world. I have built my own ARs, but PCC seems to be a different story. I need help with a build list. With PCCs, I have read that you want to keep the same manufacturer on as many parts of the gun as you can. The most important parts being the BCG and buffer system. I am okay with it being majorly parts from one manufacture like JP, if that is the best thing to do. I tried searching for Max's build list to check out some products he recommends, but I couldn't find it anywhere.

The second option is a toss up. The JPs have a great reputation. Basically everyone that shoots one loves it and brags about its reliability. And it takes Glock mags. I only own Glock handguns, so this is a huge plus. I've also read great reviews of the new SIG MPX. While it has had its issues in the past, everyone seems to love the new generation. I have read many posts from former JP owners that moved to the new SIG after shooting this version.

While I know these two are great out of the box guns, both being able to out shoot my abilities, I would change things in both. The stock and trigger in the MPX. Possibly the stock, trigger, and handguard of the JP. This is the main reason why I want to build.

Anyways, I am looking for any information, recommendations, help, etc. that anyone here is willing to provide!

Btw Garcia use also JP/GMR-13

I would never own a sig, the recoil impulse has a awkward feel and their customer service/repair isn’t know to be the top notch. 

If you’re wanting to build, I used max leograndis 2018 pcc as a starting point for parts with some input from @homie. The biggest problem I found with building, companies might all be within spec tolerance but one part might be at the high end of the spectrum and the other part at the low end. This can lead to some troublesome hard to figure out malfunctions. There will always be a solution, it just takes time and experience to remedy the issues. 

Also look at mbx extreme $1400 out the door. Gets you a competition ready out the box, ready to rumble. Also mbx has metal Glock mags being released soon. If you live in the heat they will keep everything from warping. Here’s a stage from sns400 Greg is sponsored by mbx uses their new lightweight pcc. He scorched the ground on this 44 round stage with a 12-13hf

Or for $800 more you could get the limcat, the 10.5 barrel with 5.5” titanium is really interesting , ultra lightweight. 

jp is good 

Edited by Bwillis

About 3.5K rounds through my MBX Pro Series with ZERO issues.Out of the box...light weight , good trigger and VERY accurate with the 14" light weight barrel/comp.Comes with a tuneable buffers system....and takes Glock magazines.MBX also has excellent customer service :) 

Just built a 9mm PCC... components used:    Taccom complete upper (there are different lengths of barrels available I used the 5.25" barrel with alum. shroud - lighting fast acquisitioning  ) … Quarter Circle Lower... Hiper Fire competition trigger.. Blitzkrieg hydraulic buffer & .223 carbine spring & Holosun 510C red dot scope...  your choice for  buffer tube & butt stock...  my PCC has run 100% with over 2000 rounds thus far..   price for the prementioned is much lower than you mentioned you are willing to spend....   work up your pet load for about 130 to 136PF .. very soft shooting .. dot hardly moves..  extremely  accurate... .....................need more info.. send message.. 

I was recently in the same boat as you OP. I was torn between the mpx and jp. I went with the jp mainly because everyone around here has one and I never could get an mpx in my hands to try. I really do love my jp and I only have about 1800 into it.

As to changing out parts, order the magpul acsl stock, you'll love it. I was wondering about the trigger and whether to get the modular trigger they have. I went with the advice of the jp person I ordered from. I asked what I would be getting in terms of performance from the modular and he said "nothing". I went with the standard competition trigger and I love it, Works just as good as any trigger I've had. I am still not sure about the handguard. I may change it out later but so far it is ok.

7 hours ago, 3GN said:

Btw Garcia use also JP/GMR-13

Keith Garcia doesn't use the JP. I shot with him at Safariland Multigun this year, and he runs the Sig MPX. You can also see this in his Instagram videos. 

I started out with the MBX Extreme PCC, and the thing fell apart. I've got over 10,000 rounds with it and have run it in multiple major matches in Las Vegas. The handguard has rotated off the barrel nut, and basically has to be completely replaced to be useable. 

If you're going to go with a blowback PCC, go with a JP GMR-15; it will cost equal to or less than building out your own with similar components. You can find them ready to buy for about $1700 on Shooters Connection, and combined with a Holosun 510c, you have equipment ready to compete for less than $2000. Having said that, I'd still recommend the MPX (as would many others who have tried both platforms). 

32 minutes ago, mtruong said:

Keith Garcia doesn't use the JP. I shot with him at Safariland Multigun this year, and he runs the Sig MPX. You can also see this in his Instagram videos. 

I started out with the MBX Extreme PCC, and the thing fell apart. I've got over 10,000 rounds with it and have run it in multiple major matches in Las Vegas. The handguard has rotated off the barrel nut, and basically has to be completely replaced to be useable. 

If you're going to go with a blowback PCC, go with a JP GMR-15; it will cost equal to or less than building out your own with similar components. You can find them ready to buy for about $1700 on Shooters Connection, and combined with a Holosun 510c, you have equipment ready to compete for less than $2000. Having said that, I'd still recommend the MPX (as would many others who have tried both platforms). 

I just say he also use JP/GMR13, I see u are familiar with his Instagram profile so check little bit better and u find it. 

U switched on MPX (yellow one) ?

Thanks for the responses so far guys!

If I were to buy a complete gun, even though I hear so many people rave about how the MPX shoots, I would probably get the JP because of its ability to take Glock mags and it’s reliability.

But I am going to try and complete a build list first, to compare prices and products. The only thing I know I want is a lower that will take  Glock mags. I don’t know enough about products such as Taccom, Blitzkrieg, QC, etc., as well as how they compare to JP and MPX.

For those recommending JP, do they sell their uppers and lowers separate? I wonder how buying a complete upper and stripped lower with majorly their parts, probably just replacing the trigger and adding my own stock, would be.

Edited by lajs1
On 6/22/2019 at 10:46 AM, lajs1 said:

For those recommending JP, do they sell their uppers and lowers separate? I wonder how buying a complete upper and stripped lower with majorly their parts, probably just replacing the trigger and adding my own stock, would be.

Hit me up, it's super easy. 

Building is definitely a fun thing as long as you know what parts are meant to function as a system and which parts can be swapped. I've done JP builds and full JP's and now I just save time by ordering the full JP route.