Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

40 Major ‘soft’ loads w/2011

jbultman

• 1 month later...
On 7/7/2019 at 7:49 PM, KrymSIX said:

I've had great luck with Ramshot Competition

With my 6 inch 2011 I'm running 4 grains of RS Competition at 1.18 OAL. With 180 grain coated bullets. 

Interesting... iirc the load data indicates 3.6gr max for 180gr rnfp... aren't you worried about bad things happening?

-kg

Edited by KindredGhost
input additional data

6 hours ago, KindredGhost said:

Interesting... iirc the load data indicates 3.6gr max for 180gr rnfp... aren't you worried about bad things happening?

-kg

The posted load data for Ramshot Competition probably is likely lower than what I'm running. The posted max is with 1.125 OAL (factory length). I'm running 1.18 as my OAL. 

That said I started at their recommended load listings. From that baseline I worked my load data up until I got the velocity needed to make Major at the OAL I'm using with the coated bullets I use. 

I would always suggest working up load data for your specific pistol. Monitoring for signs of pressure. I checked primers and casea to ensure safe usage. For my pistol, at the OAL I'm using and with the bullets I'm using that load was perfectly safe and looked like less pressure than factory rounds. 

Short version: start at the recomended baselines and work your load data up checking for signs of pressure and safety.

10 hours ago, KindredGhost said:

-kg

I have been using Ramshot Competition after i depleted my Solo 1000 for quite some time now... Both on 9mm and 40Cal. (180gr, 200gr, 220gr)

I've got 5 go to powders.  Now that I'm only using jacketed, there's no smoke.  Using 2 make the gun dirtier faster, 1 isn't suppose to be used in handguns, 1 is over the max load....but I load long.  They're all close on the burn rate chart and they all "feel" about the same.  "Feel" is very subjective.  Load up a bunch, Chrono, if 1 feels better to you, great, stick with it. 

Edited by blasterboy

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/28/2019 at 11:03 AM, LimitedCam said:

Can anyone give me a recipe for 

sport powder, how much

180 sns red coated bullet

oal 1.18

fed primers

no idea how much powder, using n320 right now. 

4.6 is what I use at that oal. Gets me just over 170pf out of a Para Pro Custom with a 5" barrel. That's with Blue Bullets and CCI primers. I used that exact same load with N320.