Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Scope help

Kye

Hey I wanted ask , I looked at a Vortex Strike Eagle 1-6x24 Rifle Scope w/ Illuminated AR-BDC Reticle today used for $250. I'm seeing mixed reviews on Youtube but you know it's YT 

Anybody have an opinion or experience with it? Its going on a S&W AR15 for 3 gun beginner

2 hours ago, Kye said:

What specifically did you have in mind?

Steiner 1-4 P4Xi is a solid scope for just a little more money. Its not just about the "X's", gotta be able to see clearly through the glass for X's to matter.

3 hours ago, wgj3 said:

Steiner 1-4 P4Xi is a solid scope for just a little more money. Its not just about the "X's", gotta be able to see clearly through the glass for X's to matter.

Quality glass can triumph X power. Also eye relief and FOV. 

All 4 constraints should be weighed. 

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Save up and get a Vortex Razor GEN II-E 1-6X with the JM reticle and a JP offset one piece mount- very solid.

If you continue to shoot 3 gun you will be glad you bought the Razor and the mount. A 3 gun rifle takes a beating on quite a few stages under all weather conditions.

• 3 weeks later...

I recently put a Vortex strike eagle 1-8 on my hunting rifle for a Caribou hunt in Alaska. I have been shooting 3-gun for many years and wanted to try an alternative to the high dollar glass I have been using in 3-gun but similar in power and reticle. That strike eagle was on the rifle in an ATV gun mount unprotected driving and bouncing and banging around the trails for miles and miles. I never realized how rough trails could be or how wet they could be. I kept wondering if after all this abuse the darned thing would still hold zero or work at all. After we found a Bull to my liking, my son and I stalked him until we got about 220 yds away and he got up and started trotting off. I saw my opportunity and took aim. Ive been shooting long enough to call my shots and I knew it was a good one, verified a second later by the "WHACK" the bullet made. Perfect shot, standing unsupported, from 220 yds with a scope that just took some of the worst punishment you can dish out. I just wish the reticle was a little brighter in daylight. On a beginners 3-gun rifle it will be just fine.