Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Ruger Super GP 100

Makicjf

Howdy!

Has anyone handled and/or shot one yet?   I'm curious about the length of travel for the trigger and if there is a stop before the break?  Also, does anyone know if the Bowen extended firing pin for the new redhawk fits the Super GP?  

Thanks!

Jason

Your best bet is to talk to http://olhasso.com/ , he's been running the super gp100 since the prototype for the past couple seasons. 

But from what i've seen, it's going to feel like any other GP100 trigger. Long DA Pull with the hitch before the break. And I seem to recall something about the Bowen extended pin working, but double check with Dave.

For the Ruger DA guns you will want to install the Bowen extra length pin and you will also want to install a trigger stop yourself if that is desired.  Alec is correct that Dave is your best bet to double check if the Bowen pins fit the new gun.

I've set-up GP100s and Redhawks to my liking several times and they can be very nice revolvers.  The two big things you need to deal with are the extra length firing pin to ensure ignition reliability and possiblly the cylinder release.  I came up with a weird way to do it quickly using the factory release, you are better off with the paddle style that Olhasso uses.  I've thought about making one myself but haven't had time.  Even though I shoot S&Ws in most all matches these days, my training gun is still a GP100.  I might give one of these new Rugers a try if I can find a good deal on one.

1 hour ago, perttime said:

Why?

I'm curious as to why, as well.  If the SGP trigger is the same as a GP 100 it can be made very smooth.  I dislike the hitch before the break, but that's because it feels different than a Smith.  

I, too, want to like the new Ruger.  I just hate to shuck out $1200+/- on a Revo I've not ever touched.  How did it balance? 

Jason

3 hours ago, perttime said:

Why?

Trigger (by a long shot), finish, balance. etc.   I know that the ruger trigger can be tuned, but so can the smith, and i have never felt a good ruger trigger that was as good as a good smith trigger. The Smith felt way better in the hand than the Ruger, i know this is just a personal preference, but to me it wasn't even close.  The ruger just seemed clunky, for lack of a better term.  And the overall fit of the smith seemed better too,   I know people have had to send their 929s back to the factory, but honestly i would take the chance.  The gun i was looing at was a 627, however IDK if people have had better luck with them than the 929s.  Add that the 627 was $100 less and for me it wasn't even close

Seemed nose heavy to me compared to the smith, felt like it would be sluggish.  I did not shoot it however, this is just gun counter impressions, haha.  I like the 4" GP as well, but i like a half lug 4" GP better.  So all that is just personal preference, you might very well like the new ruger better.  I would for sure try to look at a ruger and smith side by side before i bought either if possible.  I am glad i did, else i might be lusting after the ruger

• 4 weeks later...

25 minutes ago, ICEMAN550 said:

What is a super GP 100? Is it different than the Match Champion? I really like my  ruger  revolvers and they are easier to work on than S&W or Colt. 

Super GP100 is an 8-shot hybrid between GP100 and Redhawk.

https://www.ruger.com/products/superGP100/models.html

trying to keep the weight down, polished trigger surfaces, etc.

On 7/22/2019 at 8:47 AM, GOF said:

Yes. GP-100 grips fit, I have tested. So do the spring kits for the GP-100 that will reduce the DA trigger pull.

Excellent news.  I'm a fan of the old cocobolo wood insert grips. thanks

On ‎7‎/‎22‎/‎2019 at 7:47 AM, GOF said:

Yes. GP-100 grips fit, I have tested. So do the spring kits for the GP-100 that will reduce the DA trigger pull.

Do you know if the firing pin is press fit or bushing fit?  Also, do you know if the Bowen Redhawk extended pin will fit?

Thanks!

Jason

Mine is a bushing.  The gun is basically a super redhawk without the forward frame extension so Bowen parts should be no problem.  Mine has plenty of firing pin length so far...it survive the 300+ rounds at Area 4 in the heat and dust without any issue.  

9 hours ago, sww said:

Mine is a bushing.  The gun is basically a super redhawk without the forward frame extension so Bowen parts should be no problem.  Mine has plenty of firing pin length so far...it survive the 300+ rounds at Area 4 in the heat and dust without any issue.  

I wish I knew you were there at Area 4.  I'd have loved to have handled your Super GP.  Though 12 stages in a row 100+ degrees my reasoning skills were diminished. 

Though shooting 6 shot major at a uspsa match has them called into question long before 12 stages in a day cooked my brain!

Are you anywhere near college station?

Jason

I shot on Friday.  This was my first major match since 1996 and my 5th match since getting back into this game after a 20 year layoff.  I made my goals of not getting DQ'd and not zeroing a stage so I'm happy!  The game has changed a lot since I was last in it.  (Major PF was 170 and there was only open and limited back then...no separate revolver division.)

I am in Corpus Christi so if you ever get down this way let me know...you can handle the Super GP and shoot it.

Steve

2 hours ago, sww said:

I shot on Friday.  This was my first major match since 1996 and my 5th match since getting back into this game after a 20 year layoff.  I made my goals of not getting DQ'd and not zeroing a stage so I'm happy!  The game has changed a lot since I was last in it.  (Major PF was 170 and there was only open and limited back then...no separate revolver division.)

I am in Corpus Christi so if you ever get down this way let me know...you can handle the Super GP and shoot it.

Steve

Steve,

I just registered for Oilfield  at Area 59.  Shooting Saturday 10/5 in squad 5 there are 2 revolvers:  if you were to register, that would be 3... !

Jason

• 4 weeks later...

Factory triggers on both Rugers & Smiths are going to be poo, at least in my opinion. Though, I think a factory smith trigger is slightly more tolerable. I'm sure lawyers play a big part in that.

With a good gunsmith behind the trigger job it feels pretty good, but yes still a long pull.