Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

When Glock doesn’t make a Production gun

Norone

Can you guys settle a conversation I was having with a respected MD...........

Glock gen 5- lighter slide, mos contributes perhaps, flared magwell.

Production legal.

Gen 3- heavier slide, no flare....

Production legal. 

I mod my gen 3 with flaring and some internal slide lightening  to gen 5 weight.

Production legal.....?

If not then why?

Glock can mod it but I can’t?

Attempt to dispel the logic.

These days its hard to tell with all the changes. BUT, Production has always gone by an approved gun list. If a gun was on the list it's good to go. But you can't modify a gun in a way that violates the rules even if an approved gun has those mods from the factory. Hell, I remember when we debated putting a 9mm upper on a G35 to shoot production. It made it into a G34 for all intents and purposes but those changes were not allowed back in the day.

10 minutes ago, Norone said:

Can you guys settle a conversation I was having with a respected MD...........

Glock gen 5- lighter slide, mos contributes perhaps, flared magwell.

Production legal.

Gen 3- heavier slide, no flare....

Production legal. 

I mod my gen 3 with flaring and some internal slide lightening  to gen 5 weight.

Production legal.....?

If not then why?

Glock can mod it but I can’t?

Attempt to dispel the logic.

Everything you've said you want to do to a Gen 3 is legal in Production.  Hell you can take a G17 Gen 5 slide and put it on a G17 Gen 3.  If it will fit and the pistol will run, it's a legal mod.

It doesn't matter how "well respected" anyone is as an MD.  That doesn't make them knowledgeable about the rules in general or in particular.  It's the classic "appeal to authority" logical fallacy.

However, Sarge is correct too.  If the rules say you can't do it as a mod, it doesn't matter what newer pistols come with.  There's no need for logic.  It just is.

Edited by elguapo

I recall that too.

It doesn’t make sense that the brand maker can but the competitor can not.

If glock did the work to my gen 3 to upgrade it to a gen 5, under current logic, it would fly....... yes?

2 minutes ago, Norone said:

I recall that too.

It doesn’t make sense that the brand maker can but the competitor can not.

If glock did the work to my gen 3 to upgrade it to a gen 5, under current logic, it would fly....... yes?

Are we tracking?  Everything you've said you want to do to a gen 3 (internal magwell flaring, internal slide lightening) is already legal in Production even if the Gen 5 didn't have similar features.

What's the question?

But they can also and prob are arguing the point that your Gen3 is not a Gen5. It is a Gen3. Last time I looked you can enlarge internally front to rear of the magwell but can not externally flare it. The Gen3 does not have these things.  But WITH all the changes that have been made in such short periods I can see how it is hard to keep up as well.  

3 hours ago, elguapo said:

Everything you've said you want to do to a gen 3 (internal magwell flaring, internal slide lightening) is already legal in Production:

What's the question?

You can’t lighten a slide with milling in Production, that’s legal only in Carry Optics, Limited, and Open. See appendix D4: 21.2b in USPSA rules:

”A slide may be modified specifically for the installation of sights, and for no other purpose.”

That’s his question: Why can’t I make a 5th Gen out of a 3rd Gen?

The answer: Because the rules say you cannot. 😁

Edited by MemphisMechanic

12 hours ago, MemphisMechanic said:

You can’t lighten a slide with milling in Production, that’s legal only in Carry Optics, Limited, and Open. See appendix D4: 21.2b in USPSA rules:

”A slide may be modified specifically for the installation of sights, and for no other purpose.”

That’s his question: Why can’t I make a 5th Gen out of a 3rd Gen?

The answer: Because the rules say you cannot. 😁

Fair enough I was wrong about the milling.

But there are other ways to get the features of a Gen 5 that he's talking about into a Gen 3.  If he would just read the rule book instead of complaining about it, he would have it done already.

Edited by elguapo

15 hours ago, Norone said:

I don’t really appeal to anyone’s authority El. And, ya ranger rick not hard to track....

you nailed it- no logic. 

You can keep complaining that the rules don't make sense to you.  Or you can actually read D4 and see that what you want to do is possible.

39 minutes ago, elguapo said:

You can keep complaining that the rules don't make sense to you.  Or you can actually read D4 and see that what you want to do is possible.

The answer, if he wants to do this, is to sell the 3rd gen to one of the fanboys who is convinced they’re better than 4 and 5... and buy a 5th gen.

Simple, and entirely legal. 😊

1 hour ago, MemphisMechanic said:

The answer, if he wants to do this, is to sell the 3rd gen to one of the fanboys who is convinced they’re better than 4 and 5... and buy a 5th gen.

Simple, and entirely legal. 😊

Yeah, that too.

He'll find lots of suckers buyers at p-f.com

Edited by elguapo