Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

what is special about Honcho barrel system

Sandbagger123

Back to the original question, "what is so special about Honcho barrel system?"

The linkless barrel is the key component that makes it so special. The patent pending design to the locking block/barrel is what dampens all the recoil. The barrel only has to drop down a tiny bit to allow the slide to cycle, and the design of the locking block itself makes that cycling action very smooth.

Seriously, I've had people shoot the .40 & think it was 9mm. And folks who shoot the 9MAJOR barrel ask if it's really MAJOR? The most impressive part is all of that is accomplished without any popple holes in the barrel. Originally we we're going to add 2 holes in each of the Open barrels, but quickly realized that wasn't necessary. 

Any of you who already know me, will know that I've never been a fan of popple holes. I think they rob power from the comp, and they cause you to use extra powder in order to achieve the same power factor compared to a gun without holes. 

The Honcho really is that soft & easy to shoot. You'll just have to try one for yourself to find out what I'm really talking about. 

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Paragunner, I shot this 5 shot group from a rest tonite at practice @ 25 yards.

Gun is zero'd @ 15 yards so it's hitting a little high at this distance. 

For pistol, I prefer a 15 yard zero because in USPSA we generally shoot anywhere from 5-25 yards, so 15 is kinda like a happy medium. For me anyways.

1561170084989.jpg

Edited by Chris Keen
Spelling

On 6/21/2019 at 10:46 AM, Ssanders224 said:

A Honcho Limited would never go for $4k, even if nothing else was included. 

An Atlas Nemesis is $5k and you get ONLY a .40 Limited gun. 

An Akai Limited gun (with a plastic grip) can be $5k and you get ONLY a .40 Limited gun. 

It's more like ... for the same price as other popular Limited guns, You get a bunch of extra options (and honestly better parts).

I'm a Limited guy through and through. I even promoted a "Limited only" option early on in development. It honestly wasn't until I had all the options laying in front of me on my bench until I was like "holy crap this is cool".  There's no way I'd give up my 9mm barrel now ;) 

Those two limited guns are grossly overpriced. I don’t see why a limited only option couldn’t hit that price point and swallow up the open market for it. 

4 hours ago, Shmella said:

Those two limited guns are grossly overpriced. I don’t see why a limited only option couldn’t hit that price point and swallow up the open market for it. 

There are plenty of $4k options out there. 

No swallowing has occurred. 

4 hours ago, Shmella said:

It might be grossly over priced to you, but it doesn't stop hundreds of shooter's from buying one even 2 each yr.

I do not own a Honcho so I have no skin in the game. Here's my experience with on first hand. I got to put some rounds through one at 9 days of Nationals in a warm up bay with the 38SC open setup. IMO, the guns is heavy (compared to its competition, but I like it), but is rock solid, like Chris & Steven have said the gun shoots crazy soft! The gun yet heavy swings easy from target to target, I was able to get double taps on an A zone plate that was set at 20-25yrd in the bay, and the trigger was very nice (felt like 2-1.5lbs) with a positive rest. Oh yeah, at this point I was not an open shooter so the Blast to the face was new. A friend of mine ordered one when they first released, the gun has been very reliable and the only issue was he broke a mag release 2 weeks ago, PT sent him 2 new ones a few days later. I have seen him shoot a 6" plate at 40yrds with ease. this gun shoots a local if not 2 every weekend and has shot several majors with me, the gun has run like a sewing machine. I am fairly new to USPSA (18months) so I was not familiar with the link-less system. This year at the Mississippi Classic I was able to talk with the "Honcho" and Tiffany about the system, after talking to them both for more then an Hr I was convinced that its a great product, i had to have one. They gave me their undivided attention and never once tried to "sell me on the gun" they just answered my question's.

42 minutes ago, Ssanders224 said:

There are plenty of $4k options out there. 

No swallowing has occurred. 

Yes but isn’t this supposed to be the latest and greatest new hotness that is better than the other $4K options? I would think they could sell quite a few of them if a limited only was available. Who’s producing a steel grip limited gun with mags for 4K or less?

6 minutes ago, Shmella said:

Yes but isn’t this supposed to be the latest and greatest new hotness that is better than the other $4K options? I would think they could sell quite a few of them if a limited only was available. Who’s producing a steel grip limited gun with mags for 4K or less?

They are selling “quite a few” of them how they are currently offered. . 

No one is selling a truly high end steel gripped 2011 for 4K or less. 

Maybe there’s a reason for that 🤔🤔🙄

The Honcho isn’t a $4k pistol. 

On 6/21/2019 at 8:50 PM, cjmill87 said:

Sounds like it’s $6K....no matter what way you slice it

It is $6k any way you slice it.  I emailed Tiffany and asked if I could customize an order.  I wanted a race ready, but with two 9mm Open barrels instead of one 9mm and one 38SC.  I also wanted a second honcho without barrels to use as a backup.

Her reply was the barrels were free with the purchase of a honcho, so there would be no cost savings.  She suggested I'd eventually find a use for the other barrels.

2 hours ago, dansedgli said:

Can you find someone who wants 2 super comp barrels and swap to get a spare 9mm one or are  the barrels hand fitted like a normal 2011?

I think this is very possible. In my talks with Tiffany in MS, she explained to me that because the guns are all built with almost the exact tolerances, very little if any fitting is required. I was amazed, but also a bit skeptical. I was not educated enough to know how that could be done so I called a buddy of mine that is a CNC 3axis machinist in the airline industry. He said this is VERY possible when the company has the right equipment/tooling and has control over every aspect of the manufacturing process. He said that most times when there are issue's with tolerances not matching up, its due to the manufacture out sourcing multiple components of the overall component, the Machines are so advanced now days the tolerances can be made to what ever the company desires when they have control over the entire manufacturing process. I'm planning on ordering one the beginning of next yr, I will definitely be looking to swap a 9 major barrel for a 38SC lol

Edited by PewPewJohnson87

how do u think all aircraft and military weapons  with  their super accurate platforms built ?

they don't have gunsmiths to  fit all few K . 000    parts together.😀

handgun  is  very simple and small part in mech. industry .

u can produce and assemble  very accurate gun  without any fitting.

5 hours ago, dansedgli said:

Can you find someone who wants 2 super comp barrels and swap to get a spare 9mm one or are  the barrels hand fitted like a normal 2011?

Sure, but what is the point?  If you buy a backup gun you already have two of every barrel they furnish.  I won't live long enough to go through four 9mm comp barrels.

34 minutes ago, Racinready300ex said:

I believe Atlas is selling their Titans for 3,900

Atlas is lowering the price of the Titan Jul 1.  

Wonder why🤷‍♂️

Edited by B_RAD

21 minutes ago, B_RAD said:

Atlas is lowering the price of the Titan Jul 1.  

Wonder why🤷‍♂️

Per the Facebook post, they are making enough guns to start a dealer program with no wait time. You can buy right in store. Full custom such as Nemesis will go up in price but Titan will however go down in price. Guess they see a place in the market with the STI Edge now gone. No more pre-order for Titan after July 1st as it will be available in stores.