Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

what is special about Honcho barrel system

Sandbagger123

i have been looking at the honcho.  from all i have read its something special.  the locking system is different than regular .  looking at the system its does not seem to be anything that has not been done before.  if i recall Briely and Peter Stahl both have used  this type of system as did a few other 1911 style guns.   

So what makes the Honcho so special?  

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Idk if the honcho is any better or worse than any other combo system, but I do know i have come to dislike pretty much  all combo systems. Buy a dedicated whatever 

3 hours ago, RJH said:

Idk if the honcho is any better or worse than any other combo system, but I do know i have come to dislike pretty much  all combo systems. Buy a dedicated whatever 

The phrase, "Jack of all trades and master of none", comes to mind. I see quite a few Honchos around here. They seem to be just like any other gun though. They run great most of the time but they do have stoppages from time to time.

17 hours ago, Sandbagger123 said:

i have been looking at the honcho.  from all i have read its something special.  the locking system is different than regular .  looking at the system its does not seem to be anything that has not been done before.  if i recall Briely and Peter Stahl both have used  this type of system as did a few other 1911 style guns.   

So what makes the Honcho so special?  

To answer your question:

The barrels are 100% machined in house and designed to work without a link, a weak point in the 1911/2011 design. Fitting barrels with the linkless system is different than traditionally found with a linked barrel. The barrels are single piece units, so there is no piece to thread onto barrels for sight blocks or comps....SO, no comps falling off, spinning loose, or attempting to thread them onto the .40 barrel. The slide remains a constant with the system, which is manufactured in house as well, and you will not get a varying amount of wear with one slide versus another. Barrel fit is consistent enough from barrel to barrel that I can swap between my 9mm irons barrel and my .40 irons barrel without having to adjust my rear sight. Tolerances throughout are maintained well enough that I can shoot my pistol in 9mm irons, swap to .40 irons with the same point of impact, swap the rear sight module off to mount the red dot with the 9mm comped barrel, maintain zero, then swap back to 9mm/.40 irons and the rear sight module while retaining zero. To do so, I use a torque driver set to 20in/lb and torque everything the same each time. Because of tech used, I've yet to use, or need, loctite for my screws when mounting either the rear sight module or red dot with receiver plate.

I hope that answers your question, but if it doesn't, please let me know and I will try to get you the information you need.

2 hours ago, Sarge said:

The phrase, "Jack of all trades and master of none", comes to mind. I see quite a few Honchos around here. They seem to be just like any other gun though. They run great most of the time but they do have stoppages from time to time.

I am just talking combo systems in general.  I have tried it on several guns and even when functionally perfect, I always have the wrong setup for what i want  to do and then have  to swap stuff around. And while i always tried to tell myself, "it is only a couple of minutes, think of the money i am saving,"  i always ended up being aggravated and sold the combo stuff for a dedicated whatever, be it pistols, ARs, bows etc.  About the only swap around stuff i am willing to do is put a mag with a grip extension in a compact pistol and swap cylinders in a single action revolver.  Just not my thing, and so when someone ask opinions, i report

Hancho looks cool AF to me. The barrel design, regardless of who did it first, looks like a winner for this game!

I wonder if that's how they get their price down so low? It's crazy when you think about how much others charge for just a sight block limited gun!  Or just a limited gun with plastic grip!🤦‍♂️

Edited by B_RAD

2 hours ago, MVPFc said:

Grow up Sanders. Your obsession with my company is played out. And honestly not very becoming of a representative of USPSA.

I think that you may be taking Sarge's comment a bit too personally. 

53 minutes ago, dansedgli said:

What's the story with the new technology no loctite screws? 

Is the extractor fancy to work with both the 40s and 9s? 

Patent pending with NDA signed on one part.

extractor is Aftec

Don’t know about stoppage but I was on a stage at the SC state match where the whole Phoenix trinity team shot some limited some open, never saw one of them miss a beat

8 hours ago, EaZeNuTZ33 said:

To answer your question:

The barrels are 100% machined in house and designed to work without a link, a weak point in the 1911/2011 design. Fitting barrels with the linkless system is different than traditionally found with a linked barrel. 

maybe original link design from 1900 is  weak point in 2011 for u . but i don't think the same.  modern 2011 barrels can be fitted in better way to work like H. system  without changing them .

1911 has other weak points that i hope  H. solved them in their design.😉

H. is very interesting gun.

Edited by yigal

9 hours ago, yigal said:

maybe original link design from 1900 is  weak point in 2011 for u . but i don't think the same.  modern 2011 barrels can be fitted in better way to work like H. system  without changing them .

1911 has other weak points that i hope  H. solved them in their design.😉

H. is very interesting gun.

After loaning out my backup 2011’s at multiple matches to people who have broken links in those matches, I’ll stand by my statement.

The price is kind of amazing for what you get. But, at the same time I'm not looking to shoot Open, limited major and limited minor all with the same gun. I'd be more interested in getting just one set up and a even lower number.  Am I the only one?

If someone is interested in Limited Major for example it looks like they'd spend 6k on one gun with a bunch of s#!t they don't need. Then if that person is serious they'll want a back up identical to their main gun. So another 6k on a gun with more barrels and s#!t they don't need. Seems like a waste of money, for those who aren't looking to jump around from division to division.

But, the concept is cool and I'm looking forward to checking one out.