Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

muzzle brake help

93notch

Hey everyone, i got a new upper ready to go and i am looking for a new muzzle brake. I shoot all factory loaded 55 and 75 grain ammo so not light loads. Anyways, on my current upper i have the m4-72 brake and it has been a good one but looking for something different for the new one. The ones that i have been looking at are the Rise 701, the Coda ti brake, or the APA answer. Looking for real world thoughts and opinions. I am not set on one of those 3 just the 3 i have been looking at. 

The APA breaks are great, I haven’t shot The Answer but have some time behind the little bastard and their design is very effective. 

Another great alternative is the SJC titan break. It’s very effective at keeping the gun flat. 

• 1 month later...

I've run the BCM Gunfighter Mod 0, Surefire MB556 and ProComp, JP 3-port Competition, and APA Answer, and my favorite is definitely the APA. Extremely light (~2oz), which really reduces the swing weight of the rifle vs. something big like the JP 3-port. 

Really enjoying my APA, and the ability to tune the recoil impulse is huge. The top ports really help drive down the muzzle rise, and the ability to self-time the brake is also great. Would absolutely recommend the APA Answer over any other brake out on the market. 

I’ve been using a 3 port JP for the last year or so and really like it, however I will be switching over to an APA Answer when I finish my new build, I really like the idea of being able to find tune the muzzle rise. The shooters I know that have made the switch swear by it.

• 2 weeks later...

I have used a two port JP and the 3 port Miculek on my 223 for years and either one does a great job of aiding in reducing recoil. There are a lot of comps out there- you just have to make up your mind which one is the best for you- i.e.which one fits your criteria.

You can also do other things to your rifle to help reduce recoil- adjustable gas block, lpw mass operating systems,  etc. These will all add up to help reduce recoil, which is not that much for a 223 compared to a 308 or larger caliber.

On 6/20/2019 at 12:40 PM, Th3Un4givin said:

Another great alternative is the SJC titan break. It’s very effective at keeping the gun flat. 

I run the SJC Titan on both of my competition rifles.  They shoot flat, but damn they are loud.  My son uses the Miculek break on his rifle.  for the price, it's another good option.