Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Help choosing bullet profile/weight for SS

ncrivello

I'm looking to start working a load up for SS.  Trying to parse out info from various threads here, but the number of options for weights and profiles is a bit confusing.  Some people run different profiles depending on discipline (bullseye, steel challenge, etc.).  What considerations are you guys taking into account for profile?  I'm primarily trying to cut down on the recoil that full power factory ball loads have.

I see weights ranging from 185 to 250gr, and round nose, semi-wadcutter, flat point/round shoulder, hollow base.  With weights, I know it's a bit like the 124gr vs 147gr camps in the 9mm arena.  

Have titegroup, HP-38, and Ramshot competition on hand; based on some threads here, I plan to order some e3 from Powder Valley.  They have have good pricing on Berry's; anybody have any experience with their hollow base profile??  Thinking about ordering 500 ea of the 185 round nose hollow base, 200gr flat point hollow base, and 230gr round nose.  Is that a good way to go?

Anybody try the 250gr RNFP blue bullets? 

Since you already have it,

My Wife who is ultra recoil sensitive chooses RS Comp. over anything else, i cant really tell the difference. The old Clays was really hard to beat but it is unobtainable now.  3.9 of RS Comp behind a 230 grn RN coated/plated bullet or 4.2 behind a jacketed bullet is about as clean and soft as you will find.

Edited by bowenbuilt

I would go with the 230 gr RN for the action shooting sports. Minimum of 718 fps needed to make major. Load to 735-740 fps. Good reliability, feeds in just about anything. No alibi's in action sports. 185 and 200 gr major loadings, are more snappy recoil wise, which some shooters like that sensation. I even tried some 152's for a cold November match. My hand stung for an hour afterwards. I think overall, the 230's feeding and recoil wise attributes, are a good compromise.

I tried the 250's for USPSA, and found the 250's to be soft shooting, but too sluggish in cycling.

Edited by GBertolet

I'd go with 200gr Semi Wadcutter.  I've had great luck with them.  I use 4.2gr of Australian Clays, which if you don't have any, you won't get any - however the new one from Canada should work ok.  Need to start low and work up.  E3 is also good.

I like 230 RNs the best.  While SWCs are generally fine, i have had them be a little finicky in a couple guns.  The 230 RN just works like it was designed for a 1911......

Thanks guys.  Had a $50 coupon for Blue bullets, ordered some 230 RN's from them and some E3/primers from powder Valley.  We'll see how things shake out.  Maybe try the Berry's 200gr target profile if the BB's don't work well.  👍

Having trouble finding load data or start point for E3.  Some posts with anecdotal references to use data for clays, red dot, or WST.  What's the way to go?  Anyone have actual data they're willing to share for major pf under a coated 230gr RN?  Thanks!  

2 minutes ago, ncrivello said:

Having trouble finding load data or start point for E3.  Some posts with anecdotal references to use data for clays, red dot, or WST.  What's the way to go?  Anyone have actual data they're willing to share for major pf under a coated 230gr RN?  Thanks!  

Hodgdon website says 5.4 grains will get you 816 FPS.  Something to start with

When I shot SS 30 years ago (it was called, simply, IPSC at that time),

I tried 200 gr SWC's because they were all the rage, and I never got

them to run 100%.

Switched to 230 gr RN's, and voila, they worked 100%.

For our shooting sports, you cannot go wrong with the RN's, and the

heavier bullets, with some fast powder like that HP38 you have, should

be a winning combination.    :) 

On 6/22/2019 at 7:22 PM, ncrivello said:

Use Clays data for e3.  It works the same, except it exhibits no spikeyness at the top end and has no temperature sensitivity.

For years I have been using 200gr bullets in 45- LSWC for bullseye and Truncated Cone for everything else.  3.4gr under a 200 LSWC make an excellent bullseye load at 726fps, SD 4.97.  3.8gr will get you 800fps.  That is way more than enough even for pin matches where you have to clear the pins off the table to score.  I hate the people who use full factory for pins, because it destroys them.  I don't shoot 230s because the sights are slow to return.

Edited by zzt

I used to shoot L10 and SS until the eyes failed me and I moved to CO. The Blue Bullets you are getting in 230 work great, always fed well for me and you get a 5% discount when you mention BENOS in the discount tab. Add free shipping and its a deal. I also recommend MT Gold bullets, but they are pricey.or match due to heat, I went with 

After running out of Clays and almost going minor with WST at a major match I switched to Nitro100 from Accurate. Load to 3.4 grs and you will have the softest .45 load I have ever shot.

Used Zero 230 RN for years.  Ran 200gr SWC for a while. They can be finicky to run reliable, based on your particular gun.  W231 and WST are my go to powders for 45 major.  I used E3 in 9mm, pretty snappy, it should also be a good one for 45.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

230gr RN is the default, yes. 200gr SWC for Bullseye, and I prefer it for USPSA because of the awesome holes it makes in the cardboard, and everywhere because the recoil is a little less thuddy than the 230gr. The price is that it has a smaller margin of error for feeding reliably.

I use WST and 4.0gr under the 200gr for Bullseye and Steel Challenge, 4.4gr for USPSA major PF under both 200gr and 230gr bullets.

WST is also reverse-temp sensitive (here's a thread discussing it) so be aware you might want to load hotter when it gets hot out to maintain major PF: