Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Current prices of used 1050s dropping?

About 8? ish years ago, I bought a used RL1050 for ~$800. At the time, it was a smoking deal... 3 tool heads/powder droppers, 4 case feeder plates, multiple dies.  About 2-4 years ago, Supers and RLs were basically going for $1200 for good deals, and 1400-1500 on average- all used, of course.

January of this year I bought 2 more supers for less than $1000- one of them had 2 extra loaded tool heads.  (one for me and one for my brother)

Now it looks like overall 1050s are running right about $1000 in local sales on craigslist and also sometimes on ebay (4 supers sold for 800-850 on ebay in april and may).

My opinion is that for every Mark 7 Evo or Revo sold, something like .6 or .7 dillon 1050s are being sold off by long-term owners, and that's pushing the used market down.

Is anyone else seeing/noticing this, or have I simply been seeing the aberrations, not even close to averages?

2 minutes ago, Steve RA said:

How exactly do you get 6/10s or 7/10s of a Dillon 1050 ???  Which parts are left off ???

He just means for every 3 Mark 7s sold two 1050s enter the used market.

Edited by belus

14 hours ago, wgj3 said:

Econ 101, y'all

That's why I'm asking:  On the one hand, it seems kinda simple...but on the other hand, I really didn't think there would be a lot of people dumping a $2k machine after purchasing a $5-12k machine... I have 4 1050s, 2 are now rocking Mark 7 pros.  I want a revo, but if and when I get one (not happening any time soon) I'll keep the 1050s for processing and for loading lower volume calibers.

I thought that the Revolution's primary customers would be high volume reloaders, not people likely to only load one caliber, or to only load virgin, new brass.  

There is a few variables that can affect pricing a wore out machine needing maintenance might sell off cheap or someone who wants to recoup some money quick after spending too much money for something new and shiny. Each individual puts a different value on items, it could be too low or too high. I've got a few of the original RL1000's that I value highly where some will see no value at all.

Rich

A 1050 (RL I think) just popped up on Arfcom for 1599... it's close enough to go pick up, but the press is wrapped so you can't really tell the condition.  but if the dies/accessories are any indicator, it's in pretty beat shape :(.  To much for me anyway, still looking for that 1K one :).

1 hour ago, 78Staff said:

A 1050 (RL I think) just popped up on Arfcom for 1599... it's close enough to go pick up, but the press is wrapped so you can't really tell the condition.  but if the dies/accessories are any indicator, it's in pretty beat shape :(.  To much for me anyway, still looking for that 1K one :).

I saw that one to and was thinking of asking them to quote shipping but after looking and the small stuff I changed my mind.

Yeah looks like it sold.  Honestly the condition of the other items made me suspect the condition of the press as well.  Plus sitting in storage for 5 years...who knows.  Couple posts in the thread talking about what a great deal it was which threw me - looked pretty well beat up to me.  But maybe it was a gem in the rough kinda deal, you never know :).  Personally at that price I'd just spend 150 more for a new Super, but some do prefer the RL to the Super so could have been that as well.

Yup, I'm that guy. It sold, hasn't been used in 4-5 years. Never had a problem with it. 

The dies, I've been using them waaay longer than I've owned that press. Pretty hard to wear out carbide dies with brass even though the outside looks ugly from getting wrenched on and off.

I don't shoot nearly as much as I used to. Might pick up a Dillon 550 locally to use in the Philippines.

18 hours ago, 78Staff said:

43 minutes ago, DyNo! said:

Yup, I'm that guy. It sold, hasn't been used in 4-5 years. Never had a problem with it. 

The dies, I've been using them waaay longer than I've owned that press. Pretty hard to wear out carbide dies with brass even though the outside looks ugly from getting wrenched on and off.

I don't shoot nearly as much as I used to. Might pick up a Dillon 550 locally to use in the Philippines.

Yep no worries, I wasn't trying to step on your post, it was more in the context of the "1K used 1050" discussion aspect :).  I'm close enough to it that I thought about pinging you on press only option, but figured you wanted to dump everything :).  Glad you found a buyer.

550's are great, I still have one that I use for my revolver cartridges that I don't shoot near as many of.  Something therapeutic about placing case, placing bullet, pull, turn, repeat :).

55 minutes ago, 78Staff said:

wasn't trying to step on your post, it was more in the context of the "1K used 1050" discussion

Yep, prices do vary by location. I have seen used RL1050's go for  $2k in Australia and even more in New Zealand. Just evidence of the law of demand and supply I guess.

On 6/24/2019 at 6:23 AM, Service Desk said:

Yep, prices do vary by location. I have seen used RL1050's go for  $2k in Australia and even more in New Zealand. Just evidence of the law of demand and supply I guess.

Exactly, I'd like to get my 1050 to the Philippines, but the customs police would steal it. :rolleyes:

It's better to pay double price here than to make a donation.

• 2 weeks later...

Just curious, so what’s a reasonable price for a used but well maintained Super 1050?  As I read this thread, is $1000 about right?

I’ve an acquaintance selling one as he’s buying a Mark 7 press, it’s about 8-9 years old, maybe 200k round on it, he said he’d had it refurbished at Dillon, it’s back to stock more or less with all the worn parts replaced.  Comes with 9mm setup and dies and all his spare parts.  

MM

Ok thanks. So these retain their value well....

This guy told me to offer him a fair bit discounted price and he’d sell it to me, he admitted he had not researched fair value yet and hopes for a quick low effort sale. He’s a casual club shooting acquaintance and I want to be fair but obviously not overpay. 

I’ve had a 550b for 10+ years.

Approximate out the door new 1050 on Dillon website with comparable accessories to his setup would be ~$2250, with 9mm dies and a powder check sensor (which he said he never used?) and spare part kit and he has extra pins, springs split rings, tips etc all the stuff he said you go through fairly often.

Would $1500 be fair? $1750?

Last one I bought was 1500, but I did a complete rebuild so have more into it than that.  The RLs are a better machine than the Supers, so even for the same money, I'd rather have the older model.

13 hours ago, ltdmstr said:

The RLs are a better machine than the Supers, so even for the same money, I'd rather have the older model.

I'm curious what it is about the RL that makes it a better machine? 

I've heard this before but am not familiar with either as my Dillon experience is with a 650.