Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Looking at making a rebuild kit

CheekyChung

Buying a backup gun for my STI Limited .40 is far away budget wise, so I'm looking for suggestions on a rebuild kit in the meantime.

Not sure what the lifespan of some parts are, so I'm looking for suggestions on what parts to have in my bag. Firing pin, extractor, trigger group parts, etc. 

Should I add a guide rod, pins and barrel link to the kit? Are they prone to wear and tear/breaking like others?

Most parts need to be fit, so whatever you have, either pull the old parts and bag em, and install new. Or fit the new and bag em... Usually my spares are the old parts I pulled for one reason or another.
Also u need to make sure you have all the tools needed.
Extractor make shure it is fit to the firing pin stop and adjusted.
1911/2011 design is pretty sturdy,,, probably why a 1911,,  IE 100 plus year design is still the preferred platform.
If you have a 1 piece guide rod I wouldnt bother, but with a 2 piece,, chuck it and get a 1.

when I was traveling and competing,, I had LOTS of mags,, a mag brush,, a pretuned extractor, pre fit to both extractors and gun firing pin stop,  firing pin, complete set of springs, assembled MSH,  spare fiber optic rod , super glue AND fingernail polish remover to get rid of old glue in front sight.
Really no way to predict everything,, but grab some basics, may help you out... But a spare gun is the best.. My first USPSA gun was a Para 16-40,,, then went STI,,, when I was traveling the para was there as a backup.