Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Strategy Question on Neutralizing Paper Targets

Apologies if this has been discussed previously - I tried searching, but couldn't find anything.  This is only my third season shooting multi-gun after spending several years shooting IDPA/USPSA.  For the past couple years, all of our local clubs have been using the UML ruleset.  I haven’t been doing this for too long, but to date, I can’t recall seeing anyone attempt to neutralize a target with only one shot to the “A” zone.  The norm is typically to put two shots anywhere on paper.  Are there any situations where it is advantageous to attempt single “A” zone shots?  Maybe on some wide-open close targets to prevent having to do a flat-footed reload?  I suppose the answer might depend on the skill level of the shooter, so for argument’s sake, let’s assume the shooter is an SSP Master in IDPA.  

I've had two situations in the last two matches where a single A hit was way faster. The first was an array of 15 targets, 5 wide x 3 high, at 5 yards. The fastest way to shoot it was with pistol, 1 A hit each. The second was an outlaw match that scored the entire head box as an A zone. They had rifle designated both full size and mini targets with no shoots covering all but the head box. Since you had to aim anyways, just one called shot was all that was necessary, but most of my squad went for two observed hits. Probably out of habit. To summarize, tons of wide open targets where a standing reload needs to be avoided, or targets that require a hard aim and a called shot. Especially if there is a huge disaster factor (i.e. no shoot penalty) involved.

pretty much what jw said.  tight shots where you need to aim anyways, and to conserve mag capacity to avoid an extra reload.

on a related note, i see some folks that throw 3 at each target, presumably because they think they have a 50% better chance of hitting the target, but they go so fast they're sloppy and still end up with some misses or ftn's.

I've done it on maybe 5 occasions in the last 4 years. Limited round count stage once, pistol paper at almost contact distance at least twice, and standing reload avoidance probably twice.

I see some of the old timers that insist on shooting single stack 1911's do it pretty regularly.

Edited by TonytheTiger