Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Doug Koenig Dk1911 hammer/recoil replacement. What weight?

IrishPsych

The hammer takes two hands to cock on this gun, it's a very heavy. I'm not sure what the factory weight is for the hammer spring but it's gotta be 23 or more. 

I plan to run some lighter 45 loads AND maybe do some single stack matches with it. Primers are federal/winchester/and Tula. 

What would be a good hammer and recoil combo? I was thinking 18lb hammer and 12.5 recoil. 

Pic of DK1911 here

B63DB007-1EAF-4B75-ADC7-95BBB50B0842_zps

I've never needed two hands to cock a 1911 hammer , regardless of the mainspring weight, although I did run into an issue one time where the sear spring was under weird pressure by the mainspring housing (improper assembl). This resulted in a higher trigger weight and MUCH higher force required to cock the hammer due to the binding of the sear spring and the hammer strut.

Caught it during bench safety testing before firing it, and I'm glad I did! Not sure what would have happened, or what would have been damaged, had live ammo gone through it in this state.

Resolved by replacing the bent sear spring and reassembling properly.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

As stated above, first make sure the Main Spring is not bound up.  2nd check the sear spring is properly positioned.

Spring wise I run 17lbs in most of mine Fed, Win and CCI primers in no particular order , whatever I can buy at the time of need!

19lbs will set the Tula's off most of the time but I haven't used them in 5-6 years so don't know how hard the recent stock of them is 

Agree that 17-18# MS is about right for the average competition gun.

Also agree that it sounds as though something is wrong. Was the gun recently coated and maybe some coating or other debris got inside the MSH causing extra friction? Does it actually have proper MS cap and such?

12-15# on the recoil spring depending on how light the ammo is that you're planning to run...

Depends on the contour of the firing pin stop.  If it has a large radius, you might go up a little.  If the radius is on the tiny side,  the 18 sounds about right.  When I'm getting recoil slap in the web between my thumb and trigger finger I go up a # or two.  I tend to bias recoil control to the main spring and use the "recoil" spring as a "return to battery" spring.

I also had a mainspring the was to long.  Only figured it out by accident. Had a new one to replace it with and it rolled next to the old one. 

I think it was compressing completely and just barley had enough room to let the hammer cock.