Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!
jpl

STI Frame Broken Front Lug

I have a customer with a custom STI pistol, not a factory gun, that has broken the front lug off, I think due to an improperly fit Cheely grip.

Does anyone know of or can recommend a shop that can correctly repair the frame?

Thanks for your help!

Don't worry about. And don't necessarily assume the grip was improperly fit.  Mine broke 3 years ago and the gun still shoots great to this day. I provably have 20-30,000 in it since the tab broke. Not an issue to worry about with metal grips. 

In fact quite a few shooters don't even bother to put a barrel nut (front grip screw) in newer custom built guns even tho they have the tab. 

Edited by Chris Keen
Spelling

I had a lug break clearly due to improper fitting. Upon close inspection you could see where lug contact occurred as the frame was not properly relieved.   Manufacture replaced the barrel under warranty.  Worth trying.  A reputable company should fix it.  

jwhittin, it's not the barrel.  It's the frame lug at the front of the trigger guard.  But thanks for the reply!

Oh the trigger guard. No such thing as a frame lug.  Yes, I had an aluminum frame that cracked at the trigger guard. Just kept getting worse. Switched to a polymer grip.  

2 hours ago, Shadyscott999 said:

are you talking about the lug for the front grip screw?  

Yes.

10 hours ago, jpl said:

Yes.

It's not necessary when you are running metal grip.  My buddy has been running one like that for 4 years with the lug gone.