Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

1911 fixed rear sight replacements?

twister

I'm guessing it's a Novak cut, but measure it just to be sure.

If that's the case there are a good number of companies that make adjustable replacements, e.g. Dawson, Warren, Novak themselves, LPA, etc.

I prefer fixed sights and maybe buying a replacement if necessary once I find a load, but to each their own.

Couple of Smiths on another Forum posted that they have been working with Kensight's owner to produce a "No Mar" Bomar style sight that includes a base that will fit existing dovetails; and along with some minor machine work will be bedded in the top of the slide.

As one who despises fixed sights on a range or competition gun, this is very exciting news IMO!!!!

twister:

At this point, the forum posts are all that I've seen............

Neither KGB or Bunker has any info on their websites yet......

I'm old school and have always preferred the Bomar style sights; and if this pans out, we'll have the option of replacing fixed sights without major repairs of existing dovetails/slides to convert to that style.

9 minutes ago, twister said:

I had a gunsmith who made a rear sight for my Valor,  did the sight for $150 installed, but he doesn't want to make anymore.

And I can understand why...............

It appears that Brandon Bunker has become very well versed with his CNC Mill!

I want one. NOW!! Which gunsmith do we harass for these? You? Bunker?

KGB's reply:

Bunker if you want the part to self install, me if you wish to have it installed for you, naturally machining is required

The way I'm reading this is BB will be manufacturing the dovetail specific plates for gunsmith/machinist install of customer's choosing.  Or send the slide to KGB, for machining/installation if desired.

And if it's not patented and/or proprietary design, I feel confident others will jump on this very desirable option!

8 hours ago, HOGRIDER said:

And I can understand why...............

It appears that Brandon Bunker has become very well versed with his CNC Mill!

KGB's reply:

The way I'm reading this is BB will be manufacturing the dovetail specific plates for gunsmith/machinist install of customer's choosing.  Or send the slide to KGB, for machining/installation if desired.

And if it's not patented and/or proprietary design, I feel confident others will jump on this very desirable option!

I developed this modification over 14 years ago, I did quite a few over the years,  but it really didn't take off in the numbers I had hoped. I made the mistake of not patenting before I started selling them.

Rich