Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Primer Seating Issue: Dillon 650

Hi All,

I'm relatively new to loading with maybe a couple thousand .38 p+ rounds.  I recently switched components to load the large magnum primers in .44mag, but am encountering some primer seating issues.  Using Dillon 650 with Dillon dies, Federal Large Magnum primers, Starline brass (new brass now).

Once every 3-10 rounds, when I push the lever forward to seat the primer, I feel the primer "catch" and not want to go into the case.  After inadvertently setting off a primer when I pushed too hard in this case, now I go very slowly and if I feel the "catch" I simply remove the case to avoid that happening.  Normally when I remove the case the primer hasn't entered at all, but one time I saw that it was stuck at an angle going in.

This didn't happen before so any ideas what would cause this?

Thanks,

Steve

I had this problem. (If you can feel the primer catching, you've got a better feel for that machine than I do.)

Is your indexing block (triangle thingy on the side below the ram) loose? The indexing block controls when the shell plate turns. If the brass is not in EXACTLY the right position over the primer punch, the primer will catch and go in sideways and upside-down and every which-way. If that indexing thingy moves just a teeny bit, the brass is not going to be in the right position.

Dillon has a thing called a "primer alignment tool" that fixes this. If you call them and explain the problem, they will just send it to you.

Edited by ChemistShooter
add detail

5 hours ago, LifeisgoodSteve said:

Hi All,

I'm relatively new to loading with maybe a couple thousand .38 p+ rounds.  I recently switched components to load the large magnum primers in .44mag, but am encountering some primer seating issues.  Using Dillon 650 with Dillon dies, Federal Large Magnum primers, Starline brass (new brass now).

Once every 3-10 rounds, when I push the lever forward to seat the primer, I feel the primer "catch" and not want to go into the case.  After inadvertently setting off a primer when I pushed too hard in this case, now I go very slowly and if I feel the "catch" I simply remove the case to avoid that happening.  Normally when I remove the case the primer hasn't entered at all, but one time I saw that it was stuck at an angle going in.

This didn't happen before so any ideas what would cause this?

Thanks,

Steve

Steve:

Take a look at the 3rd page of this document.  This is the alignment tool that Dillon will send you for free.  Their latest set of alignment tools includes a #62167 PRIMER ALIGNMENT TOOL 2 PC and a #13713 ALIGNMENT FIXTURE.

If you take a close look at the procedure on the 3rd page of the pdf, you can get a feel for what is being accomplished.  You may even be able to "eyeball" the primer punch to shellplate orientation  by adjusting the index cam until you receive the Dillon Alignment Tools package.  Definitely worth having on hand!

HTHs 

Dillon Alignment.pdf

When I had this issue, it was about getting the station 2 locator arm set correctly. My alignment was good, but the locator arm was pushing on the side of the shell casing. There needs to be a little room in there so the primer pocket has a little freedom to align itself with the primer as it's being inserted.

10 hours ago, LifeisgoodSteve said:

Awesome, thanks guys!!  I'll check out the alignment tool and get to it.  Thankfully I got about 300 rounds done before it started acting up so regularly so have a little time to straighten this out.

Thanks!

Steve

An updated file for Alignment:

https://app.box.com/s/dl6b5h30m90p5omnbvi5

👍