Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Fastest Steel Challenge Holster

Alaskan454

17 minutes ago, Gomar83 said:

Alaskan454 how has the DAA holster held you back and which holster are you referring to?

The DAA requires it to be drawn from roughly one specific direction.  When I'm pushing speed it occassionally hangs up on me if I didn't get the angle just right.  Happened 3-4 times today.  As for the Hogue, it simply supports the gun and is held in place by magnets.  I'll look for a picture, but MWP runs one.

The DAA racemaster can bind on the trigger guard of a revolver if it is twisted a bit during the draw. It is worse if it's a bit dirty, i used to clean mine with armor all periodically. In addition to cleaning it, the silicone in the armor all worked as a lubricant and significantly slicked up the holster.

3 hours ago, Alaskan454 said:

I have started thinking about making a magnetic holster like the custom Hogue ones.   What do you guys think are the fastest?  I find the DAA is great but holds me back a touch in raw speed.

The Hogue Powerspeed.

I made some custom inserts with magnets and a muzzle spud for the Hogue that worked great. I tried the DAA but with a less than perfect draw it would bind up, really ticked me off that a $200 holster required you to be perfect.

I did some work for a guy that gave me a Guba Ribas holster because he couldn't figure it out. It really wasn't that hard to figure out, I found a video from them that was very helpful.

It turned out to be the smoothest most secure factory holster that I have used that lets you have a bad twisting draw and still come out smooth.

https://gugaribas.com.br/en/produto/gr-universal-holster-for-revolver-revo/

1 hour ago, Gregg K said:

I did some work for a guy that gave me a Guba Ribas holster because he couldn't figure it out. It really wasn't that hard to figure out, I found a video from them that was very helpful.

It turned out to be the smoothest most secure factory holster that I have used that lets you have a bad twisting draw and still come out smooth.

https://gugaribas.com.br/en/produto/gr-universal-holster-for-revolver-revo/

This mirrors my experience as well. Fantastic holster. The video was all that was necessary to adjust the Guga Ribas holster, and it had excellent retention and release. I had it with a TSO for the brief time I dabbled in Limited.  That gun/holster combo is the only time I've ever been able to reliably and consistently nail sub-1-second draws. IIRC After 2-3 dryfire sessions I was hitting first round A zone hits around 0.92 sec.  By contrast, with my Prod/CO rig (Shadow in a standard kydex holster) my consistent draw times are around 1.12 - 1.17 sec.

Edited by ClangClang

I too like the Guba Ribas holster.  I now use it for my 617 but was using it for my 929 and had no problems setting it up for either gun.  

Drawing was a breeze.  Holstering was a little tricky for me becauwe I shoot from a wheelchair.  

The Ghost Ultimate holster for revolvers works very well, and can be adjusted to work with multiple revolver types.   I can use it for my N-frame 327, and with a simple screwdriver adjust it to work with my S&W 500!  It's pretty great.

I posted this on another topic about holsters and I think 🤔 the is the biggest problem in my opinion people have with holsters. 

“Consistency with the holster and feeling comfortable with the holster you have is the key. I have tried many holsters  and the fastest I found was Gilmore and it had a nickname Spillmore but it was fast. So fast the revolver wanted to jump out on its own sometimes and sometimes it did. 😁 So fast is not the key in my opinion but consistency is and speed will come with consistency. So if you are having problems with the draw not coming out and holding up every once in awhile then adjust the position of your holster and make sure you draw the same every time.”

Edited by revoman

12 hours ago, UpYoursPal said:

The Ghost Ultimate holster for revolvers works very well, and can be adjusted to work with multiple revolver types.   I can use it for my N-frame 327, and with a simple screwdriver adjust it to work with my S&W 500!  It's pretty great.

Ghost for me too.

My 929 draw's quick & clean and is secure when locked.

Offered in left hand too.

SJC

• 1 month later...

If you can find a Hoppner Schumann  speed sec 5 I would say its probably the fastest, it is pretty much impossible to draw in a way that will hang up. Its so impervious to hangups my wife after learning to shoot with one had a very hard time drawing from a kydex holster because it would hang up from the horrible draw stroke she developed with the speed sec 5. 

18 hours ago, AzShooter said:

Speed Sec was my favorite holster.  Unfortunately someone liked it better than me and my dealer no longer handle it.

I made a friend of mine thats a super squad level GM try it and his reaction was hilarious, with the belt around his T shirt  no inner not even tight, had him draw directly 90 deg to his hips and when the gun didn't hang up the look on his face was priceless, he just kept saying how weird it was.