Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Thumb safety worn out?

Dane460

If I can move the thumb safety up but not fully engaged with the hammer down, just enough where it would catch the slide. Is the detention spring worn out or is my safety in need of replacing? 

If I can move the thumb safety up but not fully engaged with the hammer down, just enough where it would catch the slide. Is the detention spring worn out or is my safety in need of replacing? 
Is your safety working when it's up and keeping the hammer from falling??

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

37 minutes ago, Dane460 said:

If I can move the thumb safety up but not fully engaged with the hammer down,

If you can move your safety up enough to catch the slide with the hammer down, likely the safety is worn or too much material was taken from it during fitting.

27 minutes ago, muncie21 said:

If you can move your safety up enough to catch the slide with the hammer down, likely the safety is worn or too much material was taken from it during fitting.

I was thinking it’s worn, it’s on an older STI steelmaster with quite a few rounds thru it 

42 minutes ago, Rnlinebacker said:

Is your safety working when it's up and keeping the hammer from falling??

Yes I just don’t like the idea of it moving 

Yes I just don’t like the idea of it moving 
Ok so too much material was taken. IF, the safety is able to kick up upon recoil then the detent spring may be worn or detent whole in safety not deep enough. Fit a new safety if you want peace of mind but measure twice & file one stroke at a time. Shouldn't take you more than 20-30 minutes

3 minutes ago, Rnlinebacker said:

Ok so too much material was taken. IF, the safety is able to kick up upon recoil then the detent spring may be worn or detent whole in safety not deep enough. Fit a new safety if you want peace of mind but measure twice & file one stroke at a time. Shouldn't take you more than 20-30 minutes

That’s what I was leaning more towards of fitting a new safety, but was guna get a new decent and spring and see if it helps 

1 hour ago, Dane460 said:

That’s what I was leaning more towards of fitting a new safety, but was guna get a new decent and spring and see if it helps 

Just replace it all, it's a really easy job and after all it's called a safety for a reason. There are plenty of YouTube videos on how to do it and like r linebacker says, take your time, NO DREMEL, little bit of FILE at a time and check it. Dawson has all 3 parts for way under a hundred bucks, probably like 60 unless you want a double sided. 

Rather than fit a new safety, put a new sear in. EGW has the thinnest sear I've used.  If the TS is loose one that, an Extreme Engineering Ultra Light Sear is next.  It is also a very good sear.  If that isn't enough, go to a Harrison Custom True radius sear.  That is the fattest of the bunch.  Generally you want to replace the least expensive part to cure the problem.  BTW, I had the same problem with one of my Open guns.  New pins and plunger tube spring cured that.

1 hour ago, zzt said:

Rather than fit a new safety, put a new sear in. EGW has the thinnest sear I've used.  If the TS is loose one that, an Extreme Engineering Ultra Light Sear is next.  It is also a very good sear.  If that isn't enough, go to a Harrison Custom True radius sear.  That is the fattest of the bunch.  Generally you want to replace the least expensive part to cure the problem.  BTW, I had the same problem with one of my Open guns.  New pins and plunger tube spring cured that.

Ya I’m guna start with new pins and a spring, but the guns due for a tune up and trigger job soon 

Got a couple mins to take it apart, detente is definitely shot along with the spring has barely any tension, replaced with a different one off a newer gun amd didn’t help, so I investigated the safety contact with the sear, it’s def worn down, barely contacts the sear either hammer back