Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Price for used 550B

Hi All

I was wondering what folks felt would be a good price for a used 550B

Seller says its in good shape, it comes with a conversation kit for 45 ACP but no dies, basically a stock set up

The person is asking $300

1 minute ago, jbecker said:

if its in good shape I will buy it

It can be in horrible shape …   doesn't matter.

Dillon guarantees it, unconditionally.

If it's all rusted out, buy it (for less than $300) and send it back to Dillon

to refurbish it, for FREE.    :) 

14 minutes ago, Hi-Power Jack said:

It can be in horrible shape …   doesn't matter.

Dillon guarantees it, unconditionally.

If it's all rusted out, buy it (for less than $300) and send it back to Dillon

to refurbish it, for FREE.    :) 

I might be wrong on this, but I do think Dillon charges to rebuild a machine.  I sent my 550 back after years of use to have it rebuilt, and if my memory is correct, they charged me something.

4 hours ago, CSEMARTIN said:

I might be wrong on this, but I do think Dillon charges to rebuild a machine.  I sent my 550 back after years of use to have it rebuilt, and if my memory is correct, they charged me something.

They do charge. Recently somebody on here posted what the cost is. I also know if a press is majorly rusted to the point of being seized completely they offer a steep discount on a new press instead of trying to swap everything out. I snuck in the retail store last year and watched a customer bring in a 650 he bought from somebody based on the,” Dillon will fix it forever promise”. He was told be two different employees that did not apply to the ram being seized like it was. They offered him a good deal on new press though. 

I want to say it's less than a $100 typically... $70 maybe?

But as already stated, unless it's a rusted heap you can't beat it, I have a 550 Pre B still chugging along.  1050 does most of my works these days but I still load all my rimmed ammo on the 550.

Edited by 78Staff

7 hours ago, 78Staff said:

I want to say it's less than a $100 typically... $70 maybe?

But as already stated, unless it's a rusted heap you can't beat it, I have a 550 Pre B still chugging along.  1050 does most of my works these days but I still load all my rimmed ammo on the 550.

I think that is correct.  I believe I paid something like 80 bucks several years ago.

I agree.  You can't beat the 550.  

On 6/16/2019 at 6:28 PM, jbecker said:

Hi All

I was wondering what folks felt would be a good price for a used 550B

Seller says its in good shape, it comes with a conversation kit for 45 ACP but no dies, basically a stock set up

The person is asking $300

Price seems good. If it has all the original parts.

I'll be the lone dissenter:  I won't pay more than 60% of dillon prices for a machine in good condition, and 50% if it's rough.  Used Dillon prices are all coming down, imho.  Pressure from the top side due to Mark 7s...evidently causing people to dump 1050s, which in turn is putting pricing pressure on 650s and 550s, too.

In the last 6 months I've definitely encountered more sub $1000 1050s than at any time in the last 10 years.