Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

X5 Grayguns Fat Guide Rod “Stuck”

Solsand

I searched for similar issues but found none, so here it is—

After 5k rounds I started to have some FTB issues so I thought I might need a new guide rod spring. Instead of just buying a stock captive assembly I thought I’d try the Grayguns Stainless Fat Guide Rod for some added versatility with spring weights/ matching loads. While it has solved the FTB issues I now have two other problems. First, the takedown lever is now almost impossible to turn down for disassembly — I have to use leather gloves to keep from ripping the skin off my thumb — and secondly, I can’t even disassemble the damn thing once I finally get the take down lever in position; the slide gets stuck after coming off only about a 1/2”. On the two occasions I’ve tried to disassemble it, I’ve had to hit the slide with a rubber mallet. SHOULD NOT HAVE TO DO THAT! What the hell is the deal?! Surely someone else has experienced this issue...🤔

I just move the guide with my finger, it will move around. I line it up basically straight and turn the takedown lever. It is a bit of a pain initially but it’s pretty simple one you do it. Putting it back together has never been a problem. Just make sure you have it pushed up against the barrel.

Edited by steven t
Edited because I screwed up on my phone

34 minutes ago, Aircooled6racer said:

Hello: Do you have the recoil spring on backwards? Thanks, Eric

Honestly brother, I didn't know there was a difference!? I will have to check that for sure. Thanks very much for that info.

Do what steven t said.

The slide will get stuck if the takedown lever isn't all the way in the most clockwise position. When the recoil assembly slips and dips down, it makes it impossible to turn the lever all the way to the locked position. All you have to do hold it straight/tilt it slightly up before/while turning the takedown lever.

This happens on totally stock guide rods too.

Edited by be032

12 hours ago, Solsand said:

Great answers regarding the “stiff” take down lever, but has no one had issues with the slide getting stuck about a 1/2” or so off the end?

Are you talking about when reassembling? If so you might need to lift up on the rear of the slide and possibly move it around a bit. Two of my P320s do this. It was never an issue until Sig did the recall. I believe it has to do with the new disconnecter .

3 hours ago, steven t said:

Are you talking about when reassembling? If so you might need to lift up on the rear of the slide and possibly move it around a bit. Two of my P320s do this. It was never an issue until Sig did the recall. I believe it has to do with the new disconnecter .

No sir, strictly referring to disassembling. But @be032got me squared away as to why, I believe. 

Can't thank everyone enough for chiming in with solutions. Love this forum.