Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

STI DVC-S use factory ammo

CzEnthusist

Does anyone know if the STI DVC-S can use factory ammo, if so what would you recommend? Are they still having problems with the compensator cracking?

https://stiguns.com/product-lineup/dvc-s/

I don’t know of any “factory” ammo that could make the comp work as intended. There are some boutique ammo manufacturers like Atlanta Arms, that do sell major power factor ammo & what this pistol needs. No idea about any comp cracking issues.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

i'd ask sti.  i have the predecessor, sti steelmaster and it was made to work great with winchester white box 9mm (minor).  given that the dvc-s also shows 38 super, not sure if it comes set up for minor or major.  thinking though a spring change would be all that is needed to switch between minor and major power factor.

3 hours ago, davsco said:

i'd ask sti.  i have the predecessor, sti steelmaster and it was made to work great with winchester white box 9mm (minor).  given that the dvc-s also shows 38 super, not sure if it comes set up for minor or major.  thinking though a spring change would be all that is needed to switch between minor and major power factor.

heavy or lighter spring?

the last 2  new that i saw didn't work  out  from the box. we use only 9mm 115 and 124gr.  factory ammo pf 135-142. fiochi ,magtech, s&b. R.S 8 -9lb

after tuning both of them run 100%. first shot over  20k and second ~5k .

the only thing that was broken it's the cocking  handle  after 1k. that hit  hard  shooter's   face.

Edited by yigal

• 4 weeks later...

I host a steel night match every couple Monday’s. One of our regulars uses a DVC-S and it shoots VERY well with regular Ammo. He uses a 7 lb recoil spring and PT Evo grip. I just shot a mag full of American Eagle 115gr out of it and it worked flawlessly. 

Really nice shooting gun. 

On 6/16/2019 at 12:16 AM, Fo0 said:

heavy or lighter spring?

depends on what it is setup for from the factory.  if it is set up for major power factor, then a lighter recoil spring for minor and vice versa.  though above they're saying it seems to be set up for minor, as was my steelmaster, from the factory.

• 4 months later...

I also have a DVC-S and ran through a bunch of different ammos before settling on WINCHESTER USA 9MM NATO 124 GRAIN FULL METAL JACKET- Q4318. This will deliver a power factor of 141.36. I've found that my stock DVC-S won't reliably cycle with anything under a power factor of 140, and I have about 2,000 rounds through it at this point. Standard Winchester White Box 115 gr, has a power factor of 136 and it will not cycle reliably in my gun...stove pipes and FTE's galore.  The NATO is also a cost-effective practice ammo and it shoots with consistent, moderate recoil.

FEDERAL AMERICAN EAGLE 9MM AMMO 124 GRAIN FULL METAL JACKET - AE9AP also works well and delivers a power factor of 142.60.  I haven't noticed an appreciable difference in the cleanliness between the Winchester and Federal ammo.  Both cycle reliably and are about the same price.  I suspect the Federal ammo is a more commonly available....the NATO stuff stocks out on occasion.

Both are brass-cased with boxer primers and FMJ bullets and are available by the case  I usually go with the Winchester unless it's unavailable, but I shoot both interchangeably.