Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Muzzle up?

I'm new to pcc and when watching YouTube videos, I noticed that most shooters carry the gun with the muzzle down when running between arrays.  For some reason, I naturally hold the gun with muzzle up when moving.  Is this something I need to work on or does it matter?  What's the advantage of muzzle down?

light a round off muzzle down you might shoot your foot.,, trip and fall, gun gets jammed in dirt,, may need cleaning at worse. again,, light a round off YOU might get hurt due to your actions.
Muzzle up ? light a round off you might take one to the chin,  kill someone else or get a range shut down when your round goes over the berm and hits something it shouldnt.

It would appear that running/movement with the muzzle pointed down (or at the berm) would always be preferred compared to movement with the muzzle pointed OVER the berm.

Light one off with the muzzle at the ground and it's no problem (the 10 foot rule applies, of course) but launch one over the berm and you're usually done for the day.

AD

Safety aside, consider the efficiency of movement. I don’t know how you do it, but if I’m running I hold the gun in one hand. If you’re running muzzle up, you’re probably holding the hand guard in your non dominant hand. It seems more efficient to maintain your firing grip with your dominant hand, which would naturally be a muzzle down condition. 

Muzzle down seems safer too I agree. 

Watch the same videos again and more  closely compare the difference between them and you. 

Muzzle more down versus more up outs the stock closer to your shoulder. The closer it is the quicker you get to the sights. It's not all a safety thing.

5 hours ago, turbopower18 said:

A PCC with a chamber flag is the same as a holstered pistol in my opinion. 

I agree, except that I don't wet myself between the time I see a rifle pointed at me and the time I see that there is a chamber flag. If people never did crazy unsafe things on the range then maybe I could hold the urine. 

I think it is about where you learn, seems like IDPA & USPSA folks as a general rule are just not comfortable when people point guns at them. 

On 6/15/2019 at 4:42 PM, Mark Meyers said:

I'm new to pcc and when watching YouTube videos, I noticed that most shooters carry the gun with the muzzle down when running between arrays.  For some reason, I naturally hold the gun with muzzle up when moving.  Is this something I need to work on or does it matter?  What's the advantage of muzzle down?

The OPs question is about movement not safety.

I've taken about half dozen 3 day AR classes from top name guys and this question has never come up. But, I too have been watching videos trying to pick up on how good shooters move.

Essentially I believe it comes down to the type of movement. Short steps around barriers if you can't keep the rifle mounted, lifting the rifle back and up, or to the strong side with muzzle angled down is effective.

On longer runs when speed is need, it becomes a one handed carry that I manage with the barrel flat to the berm or very slightly elevated.

Just opinions based on my strength and comfort. Also, running a 10 1/2 SBR probably gives me a different feel on in and out movement.