Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

9mm barrels.....and timing muzzle brakes....

FROM THE TACCOM FACE BOOK PAGE

597099599_9mmthread.jpg.5e29f6dee7ff793616d8a9fa3b3be8b1.jpg

Crush Washers for timing brakes and muzzle devices on your 9mm can be a VERY BAD IDEA!!! Has anyone ever snapped the end of a barrel off trying to time a brake on a 9mm barrel? It has happened. The drawing pretty much gives you an idea of what the representative wall thickness is for a 1/2-28 thread and the major bore of the 9mm barrel.......basically .050" which is not much at all!! if you are timing a brake and you need to do a 3/4 turn......chances are, you will snap your barrel off. So what to do???

Personally, In our opinion, the absolute best way is to time the brake in a lathe so that you have maybe an 1/8 turn to proper line up. There are other ways as well.....

1) peel washers....yes, they are a 'layered' washer (we provide them with our muzzle brakes)....each layer is .002" and represents about a 16th of a turn (4 layers = 1/4 turn) approximately. SO if you are a 1/2 turn from top dead center.....start with removing 5 or 6 layers and crank it up with a wrench.

2) time your brake with sand paper.......we've taken 150 grit sand paper, laid it on a flat surface and would stroke the back end across the sand paper......rotating the brake 90 degrees each stroke to keep it square

3) Sand your crush washer......while I am not a real fan of this, it can work, same thing, 150 grit sand paper/flat surface....'large end' of the crush washer.....stroking in a figure 8 pattern to keep the surface square.

Bottom line unlike the 5.56 where you have over a .100" wall thickness, the 9mm bore and 1/2" threads are very fragile and you should never tighten a brake to your barrel over 1/3 of a turn to be safe.

Hope this helps!!!!

Edited by TRUBL
PRINT TOO SMALL

When I bought a Taccom comp for my Ruger PC Carbine I called them to ask about timing because it didn't come with a crush washer or peel washer.   The guy I talked to (the owner?) told me the same thing;  don't use a lot of force to time it because of the small wall thickness under the threads.  I bought a crush washer and sanded it down as described above until I got within about 10º of where I wanted it and that worked well.

On 6/15/2019 at 4:52 PM, SteelCityShooter said:

When I bought a Taccom comp for my Ruger PC Carbine I called them to ask about timing because it didn't come with a crush washer or peel washer.   The guy I talked to (the owner?) told me the same thing;  don't use a lot of force to time it because of the small wall thickness under the threads.  I bought a crush washer and sanded it down as described above until I got within about 10º of where I wanted it and that worked well.

For a very long time, we did not provide any washer......but the public had spoken and while I personally am not a fan of using washers, we made a command decision to start providing peel washers with all of our 1/2-28 and 1/2-36 brakes. 

Tim

4 hours ago, TRUBL said:

For a very long time, we did not provide any washer......but the public had spoken and while I personally am not a fan of using washers, we made a command decision to start providing peel washers with all of our 1/2-28 and 1/2-36 brakes. 

Tim

I guess I bought mine a bit too soon.