Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

New to coated bullets. “Blue bullets” ? or “Black bullets” ?

tmz

First attempt at loading coded bullets always been using jacketed hollow points.

So my question is “Blue bullets” or

“Black bullets” ? both prices seem to be the exact same but no experience with either one trying to get thoughts on what everyone’s using and for what reason. Thanks for any info Tony 

Edited by tmz

First attempt at loading coded bullets always been using jacketed hollow points.
So my question is “Blue bullets” or
“Black bullets” ? both prices seem to be the exact same but no experience with either one trying to get thoughts on what everyone’s using and for what reason. Thanks for any info Tony 
Ibejiheads lol. If not, either of your choices are very good. Blue ships super fast

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Most all coated bullets should work just fine.  I've had success with most all of them.  Only had one notable company send me bad bullets (and I truly believe that was a mistake on their part, not their normal practice, but I didn't buy from them again.) 

Most of these manufacturers sell small sample packs so I suggest try a few of each company and determine which you like yourself.

I currently use Ibejiheads too.

There are a lot of brands of bullets using Hi-Tek coating.  A lot of them use the same Magma machine molds.  A lot of them are of good quality. 

Those are pretty well interchangeable no matter the color.

Some, like Blue Bullets coat with Something Else.  A lot of them work, too. 

I shot some Blue Bullets and they were a bit different shape from the BBI and Bayou bullets I was accustomed to.  So they had to be seated different - shorter OAL.  They shot ok. 

I shot some coated bullets in the Pre-Hi Tek era.

The Bull X was great. 

Some of the others were ok in low velocity rounds like .38 Special and .45 ACP but failed at higher speed in 9mm.  One brand successfully made the transition to Hi Tek. 

After several months off the market, I see that the folks that bought out Eggleston Munitions is back to offering bullets on the original website.   I really had good luck with the "original" Eggleston bullets and hope the "new" bullets are just as good.  Note that any old discount codes are not honored.

I appreciate everyone  chiming in, I’m going to  go on a few of these sites and order some of the samples give a few different ones a try and see what I like keep any more good info coming in thanks guys !

Haven't tried blue, but have shot Black (BBI) and Red (Acme).  I prefer Acme although in reality the Blacks were fine.  Just easier purchasing/better packaging/shipping with Acme.  Mailman hates me when the Acme Order arrives lol.

I really like the coating on the blue bullets. Most other coated brands use Hitek, which I've shot a ton of and they always performed great, but at least from my experience, the blue bullets coating produces less smoke overall. This is unimportant if you shoot outdoors most of the time, but I shoot indoors quite a bit.

The only thing with blues is that they are undersized at .400, so depending on your barrel, they could be less accurate than other cast bullets which will be .401

They make a special order profile for 9mm for .356, but unfortunately it doesnt look like they do that for 40.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

It’s great to have a community like this that give so much great input and information! Thanks guys for all the helpful info. I have placed a few sample orders and can’t wait to give them a try. I don’t have  any experience just yet with these  coated bullets but after trying the samples I will report back with  the little bit of my info that I gather from them. 

Thanks again and it anyone else feels like chiming in feel free. Thanks Tony 

I have used both BBI & Blue Bullets, plus many others and the quality has been good.  Price per shipped, at the time I need them is the key factor. 

ACME, Bayou & SNS fan also, I tend to stick with Bayou & ACME lately.

I like the Blues (125gr TC) for my 9's as they work well in every one of my firearms & PCC.  I like ACME for my revolvers.

Have used others such as Bayou & SNS in the past and they have all been good.

A word of caution. Watch your crimp with coated bullets. If it is too tight, you can have all kinds of issues like excessive smoke, sideways bullets, poor accuracy..etc.

I shoot blue bullets because they shoot great out of my gun (G34 factory barrel), and I like the blue color 😎 the coating seems very durable also. 

I have used a few thousand eagleston munitions bullets and they are good as well. 

A word of caution. Watch your crimp with coated bullets. If it is too tight, you can have all kinds of issues like excessive smoke, sideways bullets, poor accuracy..etc.

Never had such an experience. Overcrimping, and putting a slight "groove" into a coated bullet shouldn't create such extremes as you say. Now, if we're talking plated bullets, overcrimping will certainly cause issues like poor accuracy, sideways bullets, and possible seperation of the plating when fired.

Personally, I have found Blue Bullets to have the best QC/price point of all the options.  SNS Casting would be my second choice.  In truth, most of these options perform similarly since they are using the same coating, but I think that Blues smoke a bit less without sacrificing anything.  There are other options that are just as good and possibly a bit better, but the cost is more.  There are other options that are a bit cheaper, but I haven't found their QC to be as good whether it is getting the wrong projectiles mixed in with my order, flakier coating, etc.

I’ve been shooting blue bullet for a few years and have been very satisfied with them, they use their own proprietary coating which I’ve pushed to 1500fps without any leading, and they now clean their bullets after coating so no more smurf fingers.

last years national survey showed with the exception of open, blue bullets was the number 1 or 2 bullet manufacturer for all divisions

Thanks again for everyone’s help !

I did try a lot of the suggestions that were given to me and I seem to be pretty pleased so far with blue bullets.

I loaded up for this Sunday’s match and will put them to the real test. 

Thanks again guys and all your help is greatly appreciated.

”doc88”  yes they did give me a 5% discount for being a member of the forms.

A234E70E-035F-4DC1-ABC4-9A6D8319DC5D.jpeg